Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is a great place for a computer scientist. There are large problems that need to be solved at enormous scale. Engineers are treated with huge amounts of respect and are listened to in regard to improving productivity and removing redtape. Google has great benefits like free food. I've forgotten how to make my own lunch.

Cons

Unfortunately Google is a big company, so there's always red tape. How much you have to deal with it depends on which group you end up in. It can be hard to see how your project fits into the grand scheme of thing given how big the company is now.

Advice to Management

Why do I have to offer advice to management? Meh, I can do that internally. Google has plenty of avenues to talk to our bosses.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Still a great place to work as long as you're dreaming to be suddenly rich

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

- Smart people
    - Great technology
    - Engineering driven
    - Huge impact on the world
    - Profitable and financially stable
    - Perks

Cons

- Base pay average, though bonus is high
    - low number shares of stock (plus, stock prices are low compared to peak)
    - Getting big and bureaucratic (e.g., launch process long and painful)
    - Harder to advance because of stronger peers
    - Minimal management attention: non-self-starters can get lost

Advice to Management

- Pay employees more
    - Cut the bureaucracy and make things easier

Smart people, a comfortable BIG company, lots of perks

Current Employee - Senior Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The many perks including free gourmet food, snacks galore, cultural events, speakers/authors, lots of smart people from all over the world to meet and work with. Many choices of projects to work on and relative freedom to do so. There is plenty of work to do here from improving existing systems and creating new products. Kid in a candy store if you are eager and driven to make things better. Wide range of technologies - handhelds, operating systems, HTML5, Linux, file systems, compilers.

Cons

Lots of smart people, but lots of subpar people somehow managed to get hired as well.
    20% time is a myth. I suppose some people get to do that. I don't know any personally as every group I've worked with is stressed and working hard on the project they're on.
    At Google it was better to be early than good. Being in the wake of a mass exodus of (mostly) young millionaires (many of whose first job was Google) and being handed their mediocre work to fix can really kill your incentive to "go further" here, especially when later senior folks are not well compensated equity-wise. Google is a big company that provides a comfy job but none of the burning desire to go that extra mile because they aren't making the effort to take you with them.

Advice to Management

Get better at rewarding your post-IPO senior people. We weren't lucky enough to get here early, but we are fixing much of what was left us by a sea of (industry) inexperienced academics. When hiring, try to focus more on real-world skills and industry experience rather than degrees and GPAs.