There are newer employer reviews for Google

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Google part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

over time. amazing culture, good company, compatible work environment and work flexibility. I have loved to work for my company so far. It is a superb company

kjhl

2620 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Okay

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

The job is good, food is good, money is okay. It is a great place to start your career since the company is so reputable.

Cons

The competition for the job is extremely intense. You will get some very tough interview questions, but as long as you get through those interviews you are okay

The environment is so snobbish...

Great experience

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is a massive organization. So what one would experience in one part may not hold true for the rest of the company.
    I truly enjoyed my work there. Its amazing to see how people start looking at you differently the moment you tell them you are working for Google. Try not to take the "smart" thing too seriously.

Cons

When I was there, they hired record number of college grads. Not all of them were extraordinary. I couldn't help but wonder why they deserved the perks(investor money). Many of these people came from less diverse areas and had hard time understanding people of different cultures.

They only hire smartest people, but even those need some sort of distinction among themselves. Talk about human ego. A team lead in my adjacent cubicle had created a small partition from rest of her team just to show her authority. Why would a smart person need that ? Wouldn't she distinguish herself by her leadership work ?

Many people are trying very hard to prove that they are smart, and it shows.

Google apparently is yet to come up with an algorithm to hire truly capable people in short time. Also their previous smart hires who have hired many smart people do not seem to be effective enough. Hence the ceremony of 10 rounds of interviews and hurting candidates' self esteem.

Now that the party is over, only those who prefer to be in cushy jobs that pay well with perks they don't deserve are the ones left in this great company. Because the ones with real abilities whose life's pieces didn't fall in right places(like Steve Jobs) are out there trying to build something that'll shake up the status quo.

Even if there are few pockets in the company, where people abuse their authority however small, it ends up tarnishing companys image. Most people are not driven to churn out best product.

There are newer employer reviews for Google