There are newer employer reviews for Google

Google is the best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Google are phenomenal - the smartest and most capable people I have worked with. And they're friendly and easy to work with too - very few jerks - everybody there is generally trying to do the right thing. Also, once you're in, it's relatively easy to move around - I have had three different jobs within Google

Cons

It's a big company - sometimes it is unclear how the different initiatives fit together. Also, because it is an organization filled with smart, competitive people who like to be the best, there is a culture of overwork that is hard to fight.

Advice to Management

Don't just say what we're doing - explain why we're doing it and how it all fits together into a coherent strategy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bait and switch

Former Employee - SWE in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SWE in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It pays well and it has a lot of resources to support big projects. Many of your coworkers will be smart. A few will be brilliant.

Cons

Most of what you hear about working at Google is just hype. The reality doesn't live up to it. Shitty passive-aggressive middle management. Systematically rewards only short term results, which leads to exponential compounding of code cruft. I mean they give explicit instructions for calibration and promo to consider only demonstrable benefits of the last 6 months of work, and nothing earlier than that which had a delayed benefit. So the rank and file are forced to be like shitty mutual fund managers obsessed with quarterly results, in contrast to the upper management's supposed long term focus. When you start they flip a coin and if it comes up tails you are stuck in ads for years against your will. 20% time is a lie. 20% time is essentially unpaid overtime and if god forbid your 20% time takes a risk and fails you will be calibrated as if you had spent that time doing nothing. Every creative idea is shot down in favor of the same old safe but inefficient crap. All the projects come from the top down. There is no bottom-up innovation in ads because they try to keep everyone 110% busy with top down mandates. The company hasn't really innovated much in years. All their fast growing products are acquisitions or "me too" and the ads infrastructure is bloated and ossified. There's a lot of witness-tampering when it comes to peer reviews and stack ranks. You aren't allowed to rate your experience working with a person. You're supposed to somehow rate their entire accomplishment including stuff that you had nothing to do with. And if your stack ranks differ greatly from your manager's opinion of the latter they will passive aggressively hint that it will be a reason for firing you. Valve has a much better stack ranking system where people just rate their own experience working with a person and all feedback is anonymous. Also unlike Valve, Google has no freedom of association with whatever projects you want to do. It's all top-down mandates and selfish horse-trading by psychopathic middle managers. I've read about the toxic culture that killed Microsoft and it sounds very similar to Google in my experience. A lot of the managers were hired from outside the company and tracked their shitty culture in with them. Perhaps that explains it.

Advice to Management

Fix the incentive structures to reward behavior that furthers the long term interests of the company and the employees. Fire managers that get bad Googlegeist results and promote from within. Make all peer reviews anonymous. Abolish calibration or force the cabal to write a justification for each score. Don't take avoiding conflict to the extreme of being passive-aggressive and failing to communicate.

2. great opportunity to learn and gain experience for a young well educated man

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary, flexible working hours, additional benefits a side, great community, great team, opportunity to learn new technologies, great city, good restaurants, excellent food

Cons

long way from home, a lot of working hours in practice