Google
4.2 of 5 2,280 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Spent 5+ years in Marketing - it's different from being an engineer at Google

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

ProsAwesome people, hands down. Peers and colleagues. Some of the brightest people. Company policies on expenses, perks, family, pets, etc. - all outstanding.

ConsSalary isn't the best on the market. Google knows it can pay less than it has to, because people want to work for it. Google has departments working on formulas meant to pay you as little as possible. Huge fight to get to the top - everyone is in a race. A culture of overachievers, which means you have to sacrifice personal and social life to move up the ranks. I've seen amazing rates of burnout among marketing. Too much. Also, middle management can be incompetent or too busy racing to the top to care about you. Everything is in formulas, and just doing a great job is not enough. You need to shop yourself and shout about your achievements as loud as you can in order to get promoted. Also, the commute from the city sucks. Oh, and the company's product strategy is a laughing stock. Google jumps on every shiny object. It's one thing to reinvent an industry, but to launch clones is just low. Google+ is shoved down everyone's throat. Google Offers was a Groupon clone. And nobody cares about the user, the company is totally evil. Decisions are made based on $$$, and not the user in mind. Don't be fooled.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the cutthroat practices. Force people to leave the office at 7:30 - literally, not just with a lame "you should go home". Young people are slaving their lives away for the company where you probably won't work 2 years from now. Help them enjoy themselves, their work, and the friendships they've made.

A great internship experience.

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros: - Smart employees - Great learning experience - Cool perks (free tasty… Cons: There were not many cons to my internship experience at Google. However, I could see how Google is not the best place… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

BOLD intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros: perks were great, people were awesome Cons: they have brilliant people doing the stupidest jobs Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.