There are newer employer reviews for Google

Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for
- Good pay
- Perk perk perks
- Great training program to get people up and running
- Flexible schedule
- Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need
- The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down
- This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques)
- TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity
- The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way
- The whole team is a political game of favoritism
- Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored
- No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract.
- Started to feel like a sweatshop

After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate!
- Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children.
- Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.

2571 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great place, if you fit the mold.

Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer III in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great, the culture is great, and the technical challenges can only be found at a handful of places on earth.

Cons

There's a very deep org tree, and half of the people between you and the top are not managers first. There's also an annoying culture of entitlement, especially among some of the people who were recruited straight out of college and take the perks for granted, but it's easy to avoid.

More training for low-level managers. It's clear that the training works, but there are many things that experienced managers do to help their reports that don't occur to someone who just stepped up because their group got large enough to need a split and additional managers.

Lots of opportunities for groweth

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that will push you and give you opportunities to see things in a new way.

Cons

It's a big company now. It often takes a lot of effort to start new projects and there are plenty of distracting or disassociated programs. It's controlled, fast chaos at times.

Make sure that you have the best people managers possible, they really seem to make the difference between a team you join and a team you avoid.

There are newer employer reviews for Google