Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Excellent Experience

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for
- Good pay
- Perk perk perks
- Great training program to get people up and running
- Flexible schedule
- Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need
- The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down
- This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques)
- TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity
- The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way
- The whole team is a political game of favoritism
- Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored
- No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract.
- Started to feel like a sweatshop

After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate!
- Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children.
- Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.

3072 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

A nice place, but in the South Bay

Former Employee - Software Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits, reputation
    - Coworkers were wonderful, intelligent people
    - Many learning opportunities
    - Middle management was actually quite intelligent and effective

Cons

- Commuting to the South Bay every day
    - Products continue to worsen, as design and usability take a backseat to quality
    - Android
    - Work/life balance was quite terrible

Let more folks work out of the SF office full-time!!

Company is so big, feel like a number....

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are unmatched by other employers!
    Office environment is over the top.

Cons

After being acquired, I went from being recognized for my contributions to being a number. Hated the review process and rating peers. Some peers would rate you and not have any direct contact with you. Didn't seem fair!

Simplify the review process. The current evaluation process with ratings from people who don't work directly with you isn't fair.

There are newer employer reviews for Google