There are newer employer reviews for Google

I build things, and it's fun!

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

+ Larry wants us to keep the soul of a startup, even though we no longer are one. In some teams, like the ones I've been on, this has been possible - going from an idea to millions of users on a new product in < 2 years. Twice. + Product areas work on complex problems with awesome technical infrastructure set up already! + Smart peers, awesome project, if you get lucky or a particular team wants you.

Cons

+ Not-as-smart peers if you are not lucky, and possibly less-exciting projects, too. In this case you need to pay your dues on that project for 12-18 months, before being able to transfer.

Advice to Management

Enough with Google+ corrupting every single product in the name of Google+ success - I don't want a +Page for my YouTube account!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great engineers working on boring code.

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are smart, lots of vacation days, lots of perks, good food, many interesting distractions like guest speakers, nap pods, good culture. Pay is decent, but not as good as elsewhere.

Cons

I'm used to startup culture, and I had a serious culture shock coming to Google. Maybe it varies somewhat by team, but from my vantage point, engineering seemed very bloated and bureaucratic. There is an obscenely long and restrictive "style guide" of programming rules that must be followed and company-wide banned language features that makes coding much less productive than I'm used to. Code reviews sometimes become bickerfests and can drag on for weeks or months. The allocation of engineers to teams is awful - my recruiter basically lied about what I would be working on, when I arrived I was assigned to a team and project that I had no interest in whatsoever, and there was nothing I could do about it except suck it up until I could leave. My coworkers were extremely risk-averse and were far more concerned about breaking something that already worked than about making progress. Also the culture is biased towards "perfect" engineering solutions, and just hacking to get something done is highly frowned upon. This isn't always bad, and you can learn good programming practices and discipline, but unfortunately it just isn't always practical in the real world of deadlines and needing to make progress. The worst part of all is that I never felt like my work mattered anyway to the success of the company. I worked on various projects that my manager assigned (there wasn't much discretion in choosing things to work on, and the vaunted 20% time is just hype), and my manager had a lot of "pet projects" that he wanted done but didn't really have any great justification for why they should be done at all. Anyway Google is a big company and managers and teams vary in quality. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are much happier than me, but I also think my situation is hardly unique.

Advice to Management

Don't assign engineers to projects before their start date and assume that the employee will be happy with whatever crappy project they are assigned to. Give "nooglers" a change to sample several different teams for the first month or so and then give them some leeway to choose a project that matters personally to them. Engaged employees are happier and more productive.

I had a great experience

Current Contractor - Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people in my department are very nice and the perks are great. I really enjoyed working for this company. You get the opportunity to work independently and with fantastic teams.

Cons

Many of their employees are contract employees, so about 1/3 of their workforce is constantly moving and shifting.