perfect company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

1 work with smart people
2 fun

Cons

1 to many people
2 traffic is annoying

Other Reviews for Google

There is a Dark Side

I worked at Google full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everyone knows about the great perks and salaries are good.

Cons

As a long time Googler (more than 10 years), it pains me to write this, but it has gotten so bad that I feel compelled. Google used to be a place driven by a culture of collaboration, innovation, and, well, Googleyness. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. The culture has descended into one where employees are pitted against each other by a rating system that forces managers to choose their best team members, no matter what. Got a team of all-stars? Too bad, some of them are still going to get bad reviews. Want everyone on your team to work together for a common goal? Sorry, everyone feels like they need to keep their best ideas protected because it’s survival of the fittest. As a result, I have seen great employees forced out, moral destroyed, and careers ruined as the system chews employees up and spits them out. It has taken me a long time to get to this place, as I forced myself for years to see the Google I once loved and not the Google that now exists. It is all very sad.

I know many ex-Googlers from the early days who despise what Google has become. It pains me to say that the company I once loved and admired has become what it says it never would be, evil.

The culture is not what you think it is. Overhaul the employee review system.

Fantastic career starter!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

people, free food, thought leadership, impactful / world changing work, great learning bed

Cons

company has gotten too big for a ton of growth opportunities, hard to leave bc spoiled by the benefits

continue. to empower. your team! They are smart - get creative on how to engage & encourage them!

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!