Google

www.google.com

I was a software engineering intern in google.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The pay and perk were good. Lots of smart people to work with. Good environment. Lots of food. There are free shuttles, free laundry services. People are nice

Cons

It takes a lot of time to do simple things. I think that it takes a lot of time to do something significant. People are nice, but seem to be very busy with work.

My manager was supportive. But he was part time. So, I didn't find him sometimes.

Other reviews for Google

Overall a great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Fooood. More than 20 cafes is simply amazing.

Cons

It's now a huge company.

Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for
    - Good pay
    - Perk perk perks
    - Great training program to get people up and running
    - Flexible schedule
    - Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need
    - The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down
    - This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques)
    - TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity
    - The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way
    - The whole team is a political game of favoritism
    - Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored
    - No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract.
    - Started to feel like a sweatshop

After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate!
    - Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children.
    - Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!