Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, fantastic perks. I learned more here than I have anywhere else in my professional history. The older teams, such as infrastructure and apps have people that can teach you more in an hour than you learn many places in your entire tenure.

Cons

most of the technology is inhouse, and google faces problems no one else does, so what you learn is non-transferable. Offices outside of Mountain View are treated very poorly.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

Amazing!

Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free amenities Relaxed culture Shuttles to SF Car Rentals Work hard/play hard

Cons

Slow progression Late work hours Some work weekends Sushi run out Employees disconnected from management

Advice to Management

Hire your contractors when they are excellent talent

Everything you would expect, good and bad, but never dull

Former Contractor - Project Manager
    Former Contractor - Project Manager

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are motivated to get things done, and path blockers can usually be detoured around relatively easily. Most of the groups I worked with are very focused and knowledgeable about their products/responsibility areas, and are usually very responsive. Not always the response you are looking for, but responsive all the same. Lots of intelligent people who are also lots of fun to work with. They work hard, and they play hard. There is definitely a sense of internal competition to be the better group/product/solution. Mountain View campus is absolutely amazing, from dining choices to personal amenities.

Cons

Frenetic pace may not be for everyone. Timid people, people who are easily frustrated, and people who have low tolerances for anything new/different/unknown won't survive for long. You have to be ready, willing, and able to make leaps of faith, fast deals and agreements, and keep up the pace or get left behind.