Google

www.google.com

Google still an incredible place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager III  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager III in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Had to add my own thoughts after seeing so many concerns about work-life balance at Google. I joined Google about a year ago after many years in mid-tier management consulting. For me, it's been a refreshing return to work-life balance. No, that doesn't mean I work 35 hr weeks. I'm often at Google before 7am and sometimes stay past 7pm. I work hard because I want to be the best in my profession, because I believe I should earn all those perks Google is famous for, and because my team, who want to be the best in their professions, are relying on me.

That said, I've never worked into the wee hours of the morning. Every Saturday and Sunday you'll find me outside running or biking, not in the office. I have a wonderful marriage, get 8 hrs sleep every night and am fortunate to be leaving a happy life.

In contrast, my consulting career was full of 70 hr workweeks, travel away from my family, unbelievable levels of stress and piles of politics. Maybe Google is also like this at the VP and SVP level, I'm not sure. But I'm about half way up the so-called corporate ladder and, at least from my perspective, things are refreshingly balanced and authentic. Again, I'm only 1 year in so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt.

The other myth I'd like to debunk (actually, it appears to already be long-before debunked) is that only ivy-grads can get into Google. From what I've heard, this was more true 10 years ago. But, I attended a small undergrad school you've probably never heard of and haven't been back to school since. I think what Google is looking for is the same as any company: people with honest passion for their trade, who don't mind putting in some elbow grease to keep the company growing.

Cons

Let's be honest: Google spoils it's employees. We're all fortunate to work here. The thing I worry about most is whether I'm making a real difference. Google has such a legacy, and such infinite resources, that it can be a little overwhelming trying to figure out if you're taking full advantage of the opportunity. For example, I'm guessing that the job posting that started my career here had maybe 100 other applicants. That's 100 people who could have done a better job if I feel like "taking it easy" today. I worry about doing well enough here to continue he legacy built before me.

Larry does a great job as far as I can tell. Keep it up.

Other reviews for Google

Good place to work but not always the best people to work with.

Former Employee - Corporate Operations Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great benefits and solid pay. Interesting work. Smart people. Always on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

Having come over as a junior member on the support team, I was constantly reminded by other teammates that they had worked at Google longer and, therefore, I didn't matter as much. I was astounded by the superiority complex numerous full-time "Googlers" had toward the temps, vendors, and contractors Google also employs. This attitude also was exhibited toward employees who came to Google via acquisitions. Google likes to stress the point of working on personal initiatives and projects. This unknowingly resulted in the duplication of efforts between locations. If it was discovered that a person in another location was working on a similar project, there was usually a meeting to compare initiatives. If the projects were similar and your peers had seniority over you, you were forced to stop your work even after having invested months on it. At other times co-workers actively stole project plans and claimed as their own. On another occasion, one of my personal projects was "taken over" by a manager who thought my project would benefit their current initiative. I was forced to stop work on my project as it had been transitioned to the manager's team. That said, many of the people are actually quite wonderful. Just keep in mind that as Google grows, there are less ways to be noticed and moving up is more difficult which means many people will try to get ahead any way they can.

Treat all employees equally regardless of team or title

Need to be in California to have a Career

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Work with very bright people who are passionate about what they do.
    Google benefits are on a level far above a typical company.
    The culture is amazing. Google makes you feel like you can do anything.

Cons

The company is huge and the bureaucracy has ballooned. It is very hard to get things done.
    The politics are awful. Many people in the org simply exist to promote themselves. My boss only focuses on how to make himself look good.
    Definitely a bit company that is still innovating but feeling like Microsoft more and more everyday.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!