Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

network engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Network Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good company, management lets you do your work, very flexible

Cons

It almost feels like a social club, good for some though

3078 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great first job out of college! Serious disconnect going on within management.

Former Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's like working and playing at a university campus that happens to be called Google. Awesome perks to appease those in their 20s and 30s. Great for living up your fresh-out-of-college years. The first few years feel new, shiny, and amazing. Google is practically mecca for engineers.

Cons

That appeal fades over time, though, and it's very difficult to grow inside the company. You'll wonder what good is your Ivy League degree (or similar) in a place like Google where the company recruits and boasts the "best and brightest" simply because it can afford to. You're not able to put your hard work, talent, and aspiration to good use or to anything meaningful. Google is definitely not all that awesome for non-engineers.

Change is the only constant at Google. I get that. But, seriously, stop changing managers all the time. Try to get really good people who are in it for the long haul. Managers that were extensively vetted and hired by Google directly are generally far better than managers that somehow slipped into Google because Google bought the company they used to work for (I find they tend to be less qualified, capable, and professional). I've had two managers who disappeared the next day to pursue greener pastures with barely any notice. I've also experience three managerial changes that were done in an attempt to address "silos" and "operational duplication" but ultimately put the team through the wringer several times.

Interesting

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Challenging navigating through the organized Chaos

Cons

Organized Chaos is extremely difficult to navigate

There are newer employer reviews for Google