Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

As a contractor...

Former Contractor - TVC in Mountain View, CA
Former Contractor - TVC in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Free (delicious meals). Great environment.

Cons

No benefits. After two years of working myself to the bone without claiming overtime, I felt disposable.

Recognize who deserves to be full time - especially after the long hours and full dedication. Not everyone deserves to be discarded so quickly. Some of us worked hard to be noticed and never had a chance.

3063 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

good

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Google as a contractor

Pros

good culture and benefits, perks

Cons

not much and no problems faced

Google still an incredible place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager III in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager III in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Had to add my own thoughts after seeing so many concerns about work-life balance at Google. I joined Google about a year ago after many years in mid-tier management consulting. For me, it's been a refreshing return to work-life balance. No, that doesn't mean I work 35 hr weeks. I'm often at Google before 7am and sometimes stay past 7pm. I work hard because I want to be the best in my profession, because I believe I should earn all those perks Google is famous for, and because my team, who want to be the best in their professions, are relying on me.

That said, I've never worked into the wee hours of the morning. Every Saturday and Sunday you'll find me outside running or biking, not in the office. I have a wonderful marriage, get 8 hrs sleep every night and am fortunate to be leaving a happy life.

In contrast, my consulting career was full of 70 hr workweeks, travel away from my family, unbelievable levels of stress and piles of politics. Maybe Google is also like this at the VP and SVP level, I'm not sure. But I'm about half way up the so-called corporate ladder and, at least from my perspective, things are refreshingly balanced and authentic. Again, I'm only 1 year in so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt.

The other myth I'd like to debunk (actually, it appears to already be long-before debunked) is that only ivy-grads can get into Google. From what I've heard, this was more true 10 years ago. But, I attended a small undergrad school you've probably never heard of and haven't been back to school since. I think what Google is looking for is the same as any company: people with honest passion for their trade, who don't mind putting in some elbow grease to keep the company growing.

Cons

Let's be honest: Google spoils it's employees. We're all fortunate to work here. The thing I worry about most is whether I'm making a real difference. Google has such a legacy, and such infinite resources, that it can be a little overwhelming trying to figure out if you're taking full advantage of the opportunity. For example, I'm guessing that the job posting that started my career here had maybe 100 other applicants. That's 100 people who could have done a better job if I feel like "taking it easy" today. I worry about doing well enough here to continue he legacy built before me.

Larry does a great job as far as I can tell. Keep it up.

There are newer employer reviews for Google