There are newer employer reviews for Google

Simply amazing workplace with incredible opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We work with some of the smartest, most ambitious, and intelligent people around. The problems that we tackle are have great impact worldwide. The work is incredibly challenging and interesting. We're constantly told to think bigger. We really are trying to change the world.

We have a great amount of resources at our fingertips. With a couple of commands, I can run a service on thousands of machines worldwide. We have access to pretty much what we need to do our job.

Because Google is involved in a large number of industries, there are plenty of opportunities abound to find something that you're interested in. We are highly encouraged to move around the company.

The company really takes care of us professionally and personally. The benefits are incredibly high. My team has been on offsites to Tahoe, Vegas, and Hawaii in the last year. The company creates an environment where you don't really want to leave campus.

Lastly, being on the inside and seeing all of the technology before it launches is really like seeing the future. Some of the unannounced products that we're working on is science fiction.

Cons

There are many projects that get rejected or shutdown because they aren't Google-scale. Any of these projects that gets rejected would be really successful if it was created by a startup. This also means that the bar for launch is much higher.

Google is no longer a startup. It is hard to move fast. We try to balance creating innovative products and a consistent user experience that makes it hard to move quickly as you end up spending a lot of time trying to integrate into existing products.

You are working with incredibly intelligent and incredibly ambitious people. This makes the environment a bit competitive and people focused on what gets them ahead.

Advice to Management

L-Team, keep up the good work.

reviews filtered by

The best there is

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No company is perfect, but Larry and Sergey aim at running a great one. Free food is just the beginning, although parents of small kids will find it especially liberating to bring them over for dinner after a hard day of work rather than cooking.

There are weekly TGIF meeting swhere pretty much all important confidential company plans are shared with employees and the later have an opportunity to ask any questions they wish to Larry, Sergey and any presenters. Quality of coworkers rocks. Managers are restricted to people/project decisions and do not interfere in technical aspects of the job. There are always parties, gifts, events and learning opportunities of both technical and personal nature.

This is definitely a place where you can work 9-5 and prioritize family, school events and so on if you so choose. If you are a workaholic, you will definitely be accommodated. While the later group may justifiably receive promotions and pay hikes, but the former will not fired or mistreated for their choices.

If you have what it takes, join and never look back!

Cons

Mandatory code reviews create a government like culture where people can "filibuster" something they don't like by just whining and refusing to approve the contribution until the author gives in.

There is a lack of a single person or team who is responsible for an overall priorities and schedule of a given project. Separate control of various aspects, like feature, UI and code can stunt timely progress of a product.

You have to be competent and self-confident to comfortably work with competent and often hard-headed people.

Interview process is capricious and often rejects well-qualified and valuable people for irrational reasons, like "staying at the previous company too long".

Advice to Management

Reward incremental improvement achieved on time and discourage unbounded debates and expectation of unrealistic perfection or margins of proof at the expense of results.

Develop a more rational hiring process, for example review effectiveness of different interview givers with in-house tech wizardry and let the best ones take charge.

Pat yourself in the back. You did way better than any other large tech company, especially the old guard ones that have not prioritized becoming great places to work, regardless of weather they are technically innovative or financially successful

Great Company to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, best in Industry salary, good work environment and area expertise.

Cons

getting too large and in the rat race.

Advice to Management

None

There are newer employer reviews for Google