There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company to work at

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great pay, work whenever convenient for you. The free food is simply amazing. Lots of perks like massages, micro kitchens, tech talks. The tech stops and hardware depots are great assets, you can go pick up headphones or a new keyboard and mouse for office use. The work place is very open, interaction with other employees is very easy. It is filled with very intelligent and fun people. The company is very open, you can ask questions directly to the CEO or Founders during TGIF question and answer sessions. Interns don't get nearly as much perks and benefits as full time employees, but that's expected. Google probably has one of the highest pays for interns. It is definitely one of the best places to work at.

Cons

Promotions don't seem to happen too often due to the fact that there is very short chain of command and little bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Give more incentive and encourage to do longer intern terms so they are not forced to work on small isolated projects most of time with little visibility to the rest of the engineers on the team.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The best things about working at Google are the people and the interesting problems!

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The people and the problems. Saying that "the people" is the best reason to work for a company is cliche, but at Google it really is. We have some of the world's foremost experts working at Google, across a broad range of disciplines. And you get to work with these people and interact with them. Now that's fun! The second and equally good thing about working at Google is that the problems we are trying to solve are hard and interesting. Another three-tiered system is not going to solve the problems I face. They are novel and exciting.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like success is made easiest for the 20 something single people. Those of us with a family seem to be at a disadvantage. That said, I've seen much worse, and people with a family can get ahead if they have the talent and work hard.

Advice to Management

Senior management likes to talk about how open the company is with its employees. In some ways, it is. But increasingly it feels like management is out of touch with those of us in the trenches. Sometimes decisions seem to come down with motivations that are unclear and without having taken input from us on the ground. Listen and communicate more.

All in all, still a great place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day
    Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference.
    Working in a place where I feel I can express myself
    Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future
    I have had a string of excellent managers
    I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next
    Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative)
    Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best.