There are newer employer reviews for Google

Love the founders, excessive growth and middle management destroyed the culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Compensation, cash to burn, pockets of innovation remain in the company. The founders are strong and are genuine.

Cons

Poor middle management, inexperience and arrogance made life very difficult. Too much time playing and not enough time delivering. Academic prejudice runs deep, politics and back-stabbing is the norm.

Read the Googlegeist and Management feedback carefully, eliminate the Politicians!

2508 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

product marketing manager

I worked at Google

Pros

dynamic environment
    great place to grow and network
    fast pace
    24 X 7 efforts

Cons

under-par life and work balance
    politics growing by day

Remove half of middle management

Simply amazing workplace with incredible opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We work with some of the smartest, most ambitious, and intelligent people around. The problems that we tackle are have great impact worldwide. The work is incredibly challenging and interesting. We're constantly told to think bigger. We really are trying to change the world.

We have a great amount of resources at our fingertips. With a couple of commands, I can run a service on thousands of machines worldwide. We have access to pretty much what we need to do our job.

Because Google is involved in a large number of industries, there are plenty of opportunities abound to find something that you're interested in. We are highly encouraged to move around the company.

The company really takes care of us professionally and personally. The benefits are incredibly high. My team has been on offsites to Tahoe, Vegas, and Hawaii in the last year. The company creates an environment where you don't really want to leave campus.

Lastly, being on the inside and seeing all of the technology before it launches is really like seeing the future. Some of the unannounced products that we're working on is science fiction.

Cons

There are many projects that get rejected or shutdown because they aren't Google-scale. Any of these projects that gets rejected would be really successful if it was created by a startup. This also means that the bar for launch is much higher.

Google is no longer a startup. It is hard to move fast. We try to balance creating innovative products and a consistent user experience that makes it hard to move quickly as you end up spending a lot of time trying to integrate into existing products.

You are working with incredibly intelligent and incredibly ambitious people. This makes the environment a bit competitive and people focused on what gets them ahead.

L-Team, keep up the good work.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!