Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Good place overall

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and it just comes with performance and promotions, you don't need to negotiate it. You get the chance to work with and learn from some amazing people. Very high code quality, not just at the level of coding style or individual classes, but the overall system architecture, things tend to be really thought through, stupid things don't happen.

The company is very helpful with immigration issues. Good 401k program.

Cons

Google's tech stack is big and complex. You will be spending a lot of time figuring out how to plug together various systems and APIs. You may be spending a lot of time looking at various status pages, trying to understand whether your tasks are doing what they should with acceptable performance and why not and which obscure configuration option you need to tweak to make them. A lot of what you will need to learn to do the job will be specific operational knowledge about how to work that unwieldy beast that is Google's infrastructure.

The code complexity is considerable, which means that implementing simple features can take much more time than you'd think it should. It also means it can take a lot of time to get to the point when you feel like you at least somewhat know what you're doing.

The company keeps the copyright to all your hobby projects. They have a system through which you can ask that the copyright be released to you on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes they'll say yes sometimes they'll say no.

Keep up the good work.

2714 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Contract worker...nothing new

Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, nerf gun wars, very relaxed office environment.

Cons

There is almost no possibility to move up within the company. But we all know what we're getting into when we take the job. Just wish companies weren't like this.

If you aren't going to offer more opportunities for people to move up within the company or get their contracts extended, maybe offer classes or partial tuition reimbursement for people trying to gain skills while they're there.

Google is the best place in the world to work - if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Google 3 times as a contractor before converting to full time employment. The perks are amazing and can't be beat. Almost all the cafes are top notch and the microkitches are fully stocked. During my time there, I met some of the most powerful people in the world, was entertained by some of the greatest bands and met some of my favorite authors. The annual holiday party is also exceptional and no cost seems to be spared.

Cons

1. Work/life balance is non-existent
    2. The recruiting organization is very metrics driven
    3. Very political

You're expected to hire an ungodly amount of people AND work on high profile projects or your quarterly performance review could be in jeopardy. The keyword is "high profile." Unfortunately they don't often tell you if the project you're working on is high profile enough until it's too late. Keep in mind that sometimes your projects carry more weight than your core job.

On the political side, friends of managers were promoted (so were their significant others) ahead of people many thought were far more qualified. One case was so blatant that I wondered why no one said anything.

Very senior management did a good job of conveying the overall message but many middle managers were incompetent. One former manager frequently brought coworkers to tears. One new manager told me shuttle time wasn't work time. When I explained I had to work on the shuttle so I could make it on time to pick up my daughter from daycare at 6:30 PM, I was told "not my problem." Keep in mind I was working 9-10 hours a day from the time the shuttle picked me up in the morning to the time it dropped me off at night. Yet I was dinged for not being at my desk for that long because I couldn't be micromanaged.

If you live very close to campus or work/life balance isn't something you're terribly concerned with, then you should be just fine.

Please listen to the team. If a manager is just plain incompetent, let them go! More transparency around goals before the review, not after.

There are newer employer reviews for Google