Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company in every way.

Current Employee - Legal Intern in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Legal Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company is exceptional because it realizes the true value of human capital. Employees are treated well, encouraged to grow in their profession and experience work on projects outside of their normal expertise.

Working at Google is also an exceptional resume item, and regarded very highly by other employees (if you ever decide to leave)

Cons

I cannot think of any whatsoever. This company is superlative in every way. If I absolutely had to come up with a con, I would say that the worst part of working at Google is the innate guilt I experience when others talk about their jobs and then ask about mine. It is hard to have to explain to others how amazing a workplace Google provides, and to witness the incredulous looks others give.

(To explain why I am no longer working at Google - I simply left for another opportunity in a different area that Google does have, but I would love to one day return.)

Continue to maintain the learning, growing, employee-first culture that makes Google such an amazing professional environment.

3085 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Huge Freedom and smart people

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Huge freedom to pursue the projects I want. Smart people who are information sponges. Free food and excellent work-life balance.

Cons

New features need to ensure privacy of the user data is preserved to finest detail thus requiring great engineering effort to build something substantial.

Not what you expect

Former Employee - Tech Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone knows the perks.
    Lots of technical folks everywhere you turn.

Cons

There is very little emphasis on customers.
    the majority of folks who work here are motivated by two things: better resume, and tech stuff that one ups other techies.

As a rather high ranking techie from half way across the world, these folks are not at all what I expected in terms of caliber.
    Communication, people management, keeping a cool head, these things are not common here, and if you have them, they are not appreciated here.

This place is a mecca for folks that can't relate to others very well, but are very technically savvy.

Before you come here there are a few things you need to know:
    1) most folks come here because they want to be happy
    2) aside from the common knowledge that if you are presently at (be careful of used to work at) Google then you are technically smarter than others
    3) Once you leave Google, people will think it was because you couldn't cut it, not because you were amazing. the only way to go is to either A) start your own company (not very common as there is not a focus on customers) B) get poached (very common), but after you have been poached everyone will still think you couldn't cut it at the big Goog.
    4) most folks are happy because of 3 things:
     A) finding a mate (not very likely at Goog, unless you are hetero female, then game on, except most females here intimidate the guys... lol)
     B) making money (yep, you can do that here as well, ironically they don't pay that well for the area: IE you can 3x that in IT Finance or startups, or 2X in places like netflix; not to promote netflix, but they are very interesting if you are heavily motivated by the mulah)
     C) making a difference in the world (not super common here)

I know a lot of people who are only happy when talking to other people about their career because they work at Goog, but have pretty much put their life on hold, and their happiness on hold to be here.

Honestly, only work here if you live here.
    Do not travel to work at Google.
    It doesn't work out, and everyone ends up leaving to find a mate, more money,
    Do not move away from family to be here.

Basically work here if you have no other options.
    If your people skills or business skills are to weak to affect folks, and you are OK not finding anyone special for a few years, and you are OK with really long hours, work here.
    It is hella good bragging rights to most folks, but once you get high enough in the tech world, it can be a negative.

Actually I should share this as well.
    the best people at google get poached (startups, other tech companies, etc...)
    the worst get canned
    all the people who can fake it stay
    the people that stay hire other people just like them
    There are a sea of shitty people growing at Google, beware them, and if one of them is your manager, transfer or leave ASAP, lest you find out the #1 factor of job unhappiness. =)

All in all, if you live in the area, and are just starting your career, please dont let this scare you.
    This is a great place if you are local, young (22-28), and not interested in finding a mate.

GL out there!

People are not valuable because they know x amount in technology, people are valuable because they believe what you believe.

You are riding out the success of your earlier achievements, and that startup down the street is going to eat your business soon, it is certainly eating your best people.

There are newer employer reviews for Google