There are newer employer reviews for Google

Awesome experience!

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing place to work! It has great benefits even for interns, and it's easy to make big impacts.

Cons

There aren't that many downsides. Google is just kind of big, but they are really good for a big company.

2574 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

came in excited, left very disappointed

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

excellent marketing to it's employees. great benefits, onsite perks

Cons

I came in under an acquisition, excited to take on a new role! I found the acquisition team to be unprepared and without answers. My team members were confused about who even their new managers would be. While no one expected handouts, it was hard to find someone even interested in assisting those who came on with temporary roles. It was starting from scratch to find a place in the big Google world.

stop acquiring companies when you don't know what to do with the employees

Google is the best place in the world to work - if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Google 3 times as a contractor before converting to full time employment. The perks are amazing and can't be beat. Almost all the cafes are top notch and the microkitches are fully stocked. During my time there, I met some of the most powerful people in the world, was entertained by some of the greatest bands and met some of my favorite authors. The annual holiday party is also exceptional and no cost seems to be spared.

Cons

1. Work/life balance is non-existent
    2. The recruiting organization is very metrics driven
    3. Very political

You're expected to hire an ungodly amount of people AND work on high profile projects or your quarterly performance review could be in jeopardy. The keyword is "high profile." Unfortunately they don't often tell you if the project you're working on is high profile enough until it's too late. Keep in mind that sometimes your projects carry more weight than your core job.

On the political side, friends of managers were promoted (so were their significant others) ahead of people many thought were far more qualified. One case was so blatant that I wondered why no one said anything.

Very senior management did a good job of conveying the overall message but many middle managers were incompetent. One former manager frequently brought coworkers to tears. One new manager told me shuttle time wasn't work time. When I explained I had to work on the shuttle so I could make it on time to pick up my daughter from daycare at 6:30 PM, I was told "not my problem." Keep in mind I was working 9-10 hours a day from the time the shuttle picked me up in the morning to the time it dropped me off at night. Yet I was dinged for not being at my desk for that long because I couldn't be micromanaged.

If you live very close to campus or work/life balance isn't something you're terribly concerned with, then you should be just fine.

Please listen to the team. If a manager is just plain incompetent, let them go! More transparency around goals before the review, not after.

There are newer employer reviews for Google