There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company, but poor low-level management and hiring process.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Wide range of products to work on. Name recognition conveys huge status. Great people and culture.

Cons

Google has an enormous number of divisions, and I can only speak to the one I ended up in - YMMV. My work area was a warehouse with open ceilings, concrete floors, and metal desks arranged in groups of six people in a workspace. The interview process was generic, so that once you are approved, you go into a pool of candidates from which managers pick new hires. I only had a half-hour phone interview with my future boss before I had to decide whether to take the position. My boss never allowed me to work with anyone on a project to get me up to speed, despite numerous requests for help. He assigned me the task of writing the specs for a major modification which included several groups not in my area - a task I would not expect of anyone with less than two years experience in the division, yet he assigned it to a person with less than four months experience. HR won't let you change groups until you have completed a year in your first position, so no allowance for bad fits is made.

Advice to Management

Don't waste your employees. HR should strive to find a good fit for a qualified candidate that is struggling in one group rather than turning it into a sink or swim proposition.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

Cool perks, arrogant people

Pros

food, perks, brand name, cool office spaces

Cons

arrogant people, not product focussed

2. Administrative Assistant

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant III in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant III in New York, NY

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and the perks were excellent.

Cons

It takes a lot of time to do simple things.