Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company, but poor low-level management and hiring process.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Google full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits.
Wide range of products to work on.
Name recognition conveys huge status.
Great people and culture.

Cons

Google has an enormous number of divisions, and I can only speak to the one I ended up in - YMMV.
My work area was a warehouse with open ceilings, concrete floors, and metal desks arranged in groups of six people in a workspace.
The interview process was generic, so that once you are approved, you go into a pool of candidates from which managers pick new hires. I only had a half-hour phone interview with my future boss before I had to decide whether to take the position.
My boss never allowed me to work with anyone on a project to get me up to speed, despite numerous requests for help. He assigned me the task of writing the specs for a major modification which included several groups not in my area - a task I would not expect of anyone with less than two years experience in the division, yet he assigned it to a person with less than four months experience.
HR won't let you change groups until you have completed a year in your first position, so no allowance for bad fits is made.

Don't waste your employees. HR should strive to find a good fit for a qualified candidate that is struggling in one group rather than turning it into a sink or swim proposition.

2800 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great experience

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Google feels very horizontal. I worked places where there was so much red tape and we weren't allowed to help other people with projects that were assigned to them and we couldn't email the higher-ups without direct authorization. At Google I am a low man on the totem pole, but encouraged to work directly with everyone at the company, regardless of rank. We were also empowered to really think outside the box. Nothing was off the table.

Cons

The hiring. I can imagine that it is hard to staff such a large company that values very specific skills. But I know of amazing contractors or temp workers who couldn't even get their foot in the door, and existing employees that have grown jaded and lazy. If you enter at a low level, or as a contract worker, it is disheartening to put so much effort into really killing it and then being dismissed out of hand.

Create a clearer track to reward actual accomplishments for low level employees. It seems like I apply for an entry level sales job with no sales experience required, and I am denied an interview because I don't have sales experience or an advanced degree. It doesn't matter that I have been working at Google for two years and done really great things on my team that has brought tangible value to the company... I don't even get an interview without a 3.5 GPA or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the founders never even graduated from college. Doesn't seem Googly to me.

Best company to start your career in.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very data driven culture.Engineering is respected and heard a lot. Get to work on state of art technologies and hone variety of skills.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the crowd. So many extraordinary people surrounding can sometimes be overwhelming and get to your nerves. But the company has become so big that nobody would care if you just came to work to eat, gossip and take your paycheck.

Be more selective in who you hire and be ready to let them go if you have to.

There are newer employer reviews for Google