There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company, but poor low-level management and hiring process.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Wide range of products to work on. Name recognition conveys huge status. Great people and culture.

Cons

Google has an enormous number of divisions, and I can only speak to the one I ended up in - YMMV. My work area was a warehouse with open ceilings, concrete floors, and metal desks arranged in groups of six people in a workspace. The interview process was generic, so that once you are approved, you go into a pool of candidates from which managers pick new hires. I only had a half-hour phone interview with my future boss before I had to decide whether to take the position. My boss never allowed me to work with anyone on a project to get me up to speed, despite numerous requests for help. He assigned me the task of writing the specs for a major modification which included several groups not in my area - a task I would not expect of anyone with less than two years experience in the division, yet he assigned it to a person with less than four months experience. HR won't let you change groups until you have completed a year in your first position, so no allowance for bad fits is made.

Advice to Management

Don't waste your employees. HR should strive to find a good fit for a qualified candidate that is struggling in one group rather than turning it into a sink or swim proposition.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

came in excited, left very disappointed

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

excellent marketing to it's employees. great benefits, onsite perks

Cons

I came in under an acquisition, excited to take on a new role! I found the acquisition team to be unprepared and without answers. My team members were confused about who even their new managers would be. While no one expected handouts, it was hard to find someone even interested in assisting those who came on with temporary roles. It was starting from scratch to find a place in the big Google world.

Advice to Management

stop acquiring companies when you don't know what to do with the employees

2. Great first job

I have been working at Google

Pros

People development, perks, global experience

Cons

Huge company, somewhat bureaucratic