There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Temp" Administrative Assistants Beware!

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Mountain View, CA
Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Non-existent micro-managing. It's absolutely wonderful that your directors don't have clipboards and stop watches in their hands to see when you arrive or when you leave. The "honor system" is in full swing at Google and from what I can tell no one abuses it. Your co-workers are absolutely wonderful in helping you out and answering your questions. Be sue to ASK! Everything has been carefully thought out and resources are plentiful and abound. It's so nice to be given what you need to do your job (laptop, desk, infinite office supplies) and not made to feel that you have to get down on a bent knee to beg for pencils and paper to do so.

Cons

As a "temp" or "contract" employee you ARE treated differently. Be warned that some directors don't feel that they need to get back to you or give you the answers you need to do your job because you are NOT a Google employee. You can feel the distance as well as the "dismissive attitude" whenever you reach out to them as they are slow to respond or don't respond at all. I was hired to replace the Admin that went out on maternity leave and was given very little instruction as to how to "take over" three calendars when she left. They also neglected to tell me that I was the only Admin in the building on two floors and I was on my own to get things figured out and done. For those temp Administrative Assistants that take these maternity leave positions for five to six months, be sure to ask if someone will be there to train you the first week you on board. If not, you will be in for a rough ride. Google's directors' calendars and lock-step procedures are nothing like what you have experienced in your former positions. My advice to you all is to find other Admins on their website, make friends and ask for help. Otherwise, you will get first hand experience working and feeling like you are in "limbo."

Do realize that as "temp" or "contract" employees we go through the same three to four interviews that your part time or full time employees do. We are professional Executive/Administrative Assistants that are vetted and certified just like Google employees are before we even put our feet through the door. Be aware, that we are not given the full week of training that Google employees are given to do their jobs when they hire on. We do not have benefits and are paid less than $28.00 an hour to do the exact same work that your full time employes are paid. We are given less but are happy to do more to help you while your full time employee is at home on maternity leave. We consider it an honor to be at the number one company in the United States and are very aware of this everyday we come to work. We are here to give you the best of our experience and assistance so please take the time to help us help you. The perks Google offers are by far the best we have ever experienced but as directors your respect and consideration while "we fill in" would be greatly appreciated.

reviews filtered by

Contract worker...nothing new

Former Contractor - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Contractor - Visual Data Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, nerf gun wars, very relaxed office environment.

Cons

There is almost no possibility to move up within the company. But we all know what we're getting into when we take the job. Just wish companies weren't like this.

If you aren't going to offer more opportunities for people to move up within the company or get their contracts extended, maybe offer classes or partial tuition reimbursement for people trying to gain skills while they're there.

came in excited, left very disappointed

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

excellent marketing to it's employees. great benefits, onsite perks

Cons

I came in under an acquisition, excited to take on a new role! I found the acquisition team to be unprepared and without answers. My team members were confused about who even their new managers would be. While no one expected handouts, it was hard to find someone even interested in assisting those who came on with temporary roles. It was starting from scratch to find a place in the big Google world.

stop acquiring companies when you don't know what to do with the employees

There are newer employer reviews for Google