There are newer employer reviews for Google

Google work

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great culture, people, food and environment. Very rigorous approach to product planning and maybe most importantly a transparent culture where people are encouraged to give feedback and dig in where they're interested.

Cons

It's gotten big. People who have dreams of working at startups will find out that Google is now (and has been for a while) a very large company with lots of divisions and layers.

reviews filtered by

People Operations at Google

Current Employee - People Programs Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - People Programs Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, inspiring, hard-working and action-oriented coworkers. Wonderful perks such as shuttles, food, gyms, etc. Work/life balance is incredible as well, if you are able to detach yourself.

Cons

narrow roles since the org is so large, challenging/nearly impossible to get promoted given that the employee-base is full of over-achievers and managers change every few months.

Great experience

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Google feels very horizontal. I worked places where there was so much red tape and we weren't allowed to help other people with projects that were assigned to them and we couldn't email the higher-ups without direct authorization. At Google I am a low man on the totem pole, but encouraged to work directly with everyone at the company, regardless of rank. We were also empowered to really think outside the box. Nothing was off the table.

Cons

The hiring. I can imagine that it is hard to staff such a large company that values very specific skills. But I know of amazing contractors or temp workers who couldn't even get their foot in the door, and existing employees that have grown jaded and lazy. If you enter at a low level, or as a contract worker, it is disheartening to put so much effort into really killing it and then being dismissed out of hand.

Create a clearer track to reward actual accomplishments for low level employees. It seems like I apply for an entry level sales job with no sales experience required, and I am denied an interview because I don't have sales experience or an advanced degree. It doesn't matter that I have been working at Google for two years and done really great things on my team that has brought tangible value to the company... I don't even get an interview without a 3.5 GPA or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the founders never even graduated from college. Doesn't seem Googly to me.

There are newer employer reviews for Google