There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company that is now a really big company

Pros

Excellent leadership, still hungry at the company level, excellent benefits and comp

Cons

More and more narrow work, increasingly bureaucratic

Other Employee Reviews for Google

Great experience

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Google feels very horizontal. I worked places where there was so much red tape and we weren't allowed to help other people with projects that were assigned to them and we couldn't email the higher-ups without direct authorization. At Google I am a low man on the totem pole, but encouraged to work directly with everyone at the company, regardless of rank. We were also empowered to really think outside the box. Nothing was off the table.

Cons

The hiring. I can imagine that it is hard to staff such a large company that values very specific skills. But I know of amazing contractors or temp workers who couldn't even get their foot in the door, and existing employees that have grown jaded and lazy. If you enter at a low level, or as a contract worker, it is disheartening to put so much effort into really killing it and then being dismissed out of hand.

Advice to Management

Create a clearer track to reward actual accomplishments for low level employees. It seems like I apply for an entry level sales job with no sales experience required, and I am denied an interview because I don't have sales experience or an advanced degree. It doesn't matter that I have been working at Google for two years and done really great things on my team that has brought tangible value to the company... I don't even get an interview without a 3.5 GPA or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the founders never even graduated from college. Doesn't seem Googly to me.

Best company to start your career in.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very data driven culture.Engineering is respected and heard a lot. Get to work on state of art technologies and hone variety of skills.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the crowd. So many extraordinary people surrounding can sometimes be overwhelming and get to your nerves. But the company has become so big that nobody would care if you just came to work to eat, gossip and take your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Be more selective in who you hire and be ready to let them go if you have to.