There are newer employer reviews for Google

came in excited, left very disappointed

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

excellent marketing to it's employees. great benefits, onsite perks

Cons

I came in under an acquisition, excited to take on a new role! I found the acquisition team to be unprepared and without answers. My team members were confused about who even their new managers would be. While no one expected handouts, it was hard to find someone even interested in assisting those who came on with temporary roles. It was starting from scratch to find a place in the big Google world.

stop acquiring companies when you don't know what to do with the employees

reviews filtered by

"Temp" Administrative Assistants Beware!

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Non-existent micro-managing. It's absolutely wonderful that your directors don't have clipboards and stop watches in their hands to see when you arrive or when you leave. The "honor system" is in full swing at Google and from what I can tell no one abuses it. Your co-workers are absolutely wonderful in helping you out and answering your questions. Be sue to ASK! Everything has been carefully thought out and resources are plentiful and abound. It's so nice to be given what you need to do your job (laptop, desk, infinite office supplies) and not made to feel that you have to get down on a bent knee to beg for pencils and paper to do so.

Cons

As a "temp" or "contract" employee you ARE treated differently. Be warned that some directors don't feel that they need to get back to you or give you the answers you need to do your job because you are NOT a Google employee. You can feel the distance as well as the "dismissive attitude" whenever you reach out to them as they are slow to respond or don't respond at all. I was hired to replace the Admin that went out on maternity leave and was given very little instruction as to how to "take over" three calendars when she left. They also neglected to tell me that I was the only Admin in the building on two floors and I was on my own to get things figured out and done. For those temp Administrative Assistants that take these maternity leave positions for five to six months, be sure to ask if someone will be there to train you the first week you on board. If not, you will be in for a rough ride. Google's directors' calendars and lock-step procedures are nothing like what you have experienced in your former positions. My advice to you all is to find other Admins on their website, make friends and ask for help. Otherwise, you will get first hand experience working and feeling like you are in "limbo."

Do realize that as "temp" or "contract" employees we go through the same three to four interviews that your part time or full time employees do. We are professional Executive/Administrative Assistants that are vetted and certified just like Google employees are before we even put our feet through the door. Be aware, that we are not given the full week of training that Google employees are given to do their jobs when they hire on. We do not have benefits and are paid less than $28.00 an hour to do the exact same work that your full time employes are paid. We are given less but are happy to do more to help you while your full time employee is at home on maternity leave. We consider it an honor to be at the number one company in the United States and are very aware of this everyday we come to work. We are here to give you the best of our experience and assistance so please take the time to help us help you. The perks Google offers are by far the best we have ever experienced but as directors your respect and consideration while "we fill in" would be greatly appreciated.

Google is the best place in the world to work - if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Google 3 times as a contractor before converting to full time employment. The perks are amazing and can't be beat. Almost all the cafes are top notch and the microkitches are fully stocked. During my time there, I met some of the most powerful people in the world, was entertained by some of the greatest bands and met some of my favorite authors. The annual holiday party is also exceptional and no cost seems to be spared.

Cons

1. Work/life balance is non-existent
    2. The recruiting organization is very metrics driven
    3. Very political

You're expected to hire an ungodly amount of people AND work on high profile projects or your quarterly performance review could be in jeopardy. The keyword is "high profile." Unfortunately they don't often tell you if the project you're working on is high profile enough until it's too late. Keep in mind that sometimes your projects carry more weight than your core job.

On the political side, friends of managers were promoted (so were their significant others) ahead of people many thought were far more qualified. One case was so blatant that I wondered why no one said anything.

Very senior management did a good job of conveying the overall message but many middle managers were incompetent. One former manager frequently brought coworkers to tears. One new manager told me shuttle time wasn't work time. When I explained I had to work on the shuttle so I could make it on time to pick up my daughter from daycare at 6:30 PM, I was told "not my problem." Keep in mind I was working 9-10 hours a day from the time the shuttle picked me up in the morning to the time it dropped me off at night. Yet I was dinged for not being at my desk for that long because I couldn't be micromanaged.

If you live very close to campus or work/life balance isn't something you're terribly concerned with, then you should be just fine.

Please listen to the team. If a manager is just plain incompetent, let them go! More transparency around goals before the review, not after.

There are newer employer reviews for Google