There are newer employer reviews for Google

Awesome Company to Work For

I have been working at Google

Pros

The colleagues you'll work with is the best part about being here. You likely won't be able to work with a more talented and incredible group anywhere else.

Cons

As Google grows larger more process and bureaucracy set in. Unfortunately the highly selective hiring process has a high false negative rate.

2460 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Wonderful atmosphere with many perks, but hard to advance.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Numerous perks such as free food, gym, sports leagues, and discounts to retailers. Much more relaxed work environment from my experience where management is not breathing over your shoulders.

Cons

Feel like there is very little room and is tough to advance in this company. Lots of traffic so the commute can be extremely long.

More management involvement to ensure employees are correctly completing their processes.

Great place to start career, tough to navigate

I worked at Google

Pros

Google was a great place to launch my career. As someone who was interested in launching my own company, I cannot overstate what it means to have Google on my resume. I've gotten interviews at top startup incubators and meetings with VC's based off the Google creds alone.

The people who work here are also just incredible and highly motivated. If you're looking to just blend in and fall through the cracks, this isn't the place to be. I mean that in a good way.

It's a great place to learn too. There are so many incredible resources to take advantage of that can just make a more well-rounded person.

Cons

Upward mobility within the sales organization is difficult, particularly if you aren't keen on organizational politics. It's very separate from the rest of the Google and has the feel/culture of a consulting firm rather than an org trying to work on challenging and interesting problems. It's so far removed from the business, they've actually moved sales to a completely new campus they built. It literally feels like two companies.

For working at a company with such lofty and ambitious goals, it can be annoying to hear people cite free food as a huge perk; and often times, it can make someone who is looking for something more out of life question the culture. That being said, the free food is quite wonderful ;)

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!