Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Beyond the fantasy, Google is still corporate.

Former Employee - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

They definitely encourage a good work life balance. When dealing with other areas of life, they ensure that employees are given enough time to take care of everything. The perks are great as well - free food, snacks, and drinks, author talks, artists who perform, game areas - these are all things that relieve stress and enable employees to focus better and be more productive.

Cons

Google is still a corporation, and there are some managers who don't fit well within the culture. Since they play down titles, and the organizational structure is flat, micro managers kill morale.

When timelines and quotas are tight - give employees space to breathe instead of breathing down their necks. Everyone at Google is type A, and able to pull their own weight. Just give them the information they need and they will take care of it.

2815 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

If you can live up to the challenge, its the best place to be. Think twice if you're female, or have family.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Any alien technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear to be magic. Compared to what anyone else is doing what Google has built in its worldwide serving infrastructure is magic. No-one, not even Defense, has the compute power on the scale that Google has. If you can manage to live up to the challenge you are in the very top echelon of engineering talent in the world. There is also a culture of rewarding and supporting us engineers in building and maintaining that infrastructure.

Cons

Massive pressure to perform to the level of your peers, to the level of legendary figures who have gone before, and to the levels required to keep the dollar generating machinery running.

Also, Management, communication and other people skills are not favored in Engineering. The results are predictably enough that technically competent engineers who demonstrate good results, get management responsibilities that they fit in between technical work. Those that have the people skills don't get these promotions.

I have not personally suffered from this so this analysis is not sour grapes. I have seen women who are already doing the project management role out of necessity as well as their own technical load, get passed over for promotion even though the projects they are on succeed, because they can't point to high personal metrics due to their unrecognized management load.

Lift the lid on the pressure cooker. Allow people to work to their strengths, and move to different areas to do so. In areas where its hard to hire good engineers, like Site Reliability, once you're in, carrying a pager, you're the backbone of the company and no-one wants to let you go and do project based stuff. When things are going well you get bonuses, but if you screw up you're losing thousands a minute and the pressure is horrible.

Google: A New Kind of Employer for A New Century

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

I like working at Google as an SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) because it is a job that combines my skills as a professional software engineer and self-taught system administrator. The work I do is quite varied so I don't get bored doing the same thing over and over like I have done at other companies.

Since Google is a well-established corporation they can afford to provide some of the best benefits that other companies can't/don't provide. Unlike startups, you don't have to worry about the company going belly-up nor do you have to work unreasonable hours.

We have free food in the form of many cafes all over the area each with a varied menu of foods. There's even a concern program that allows employees to call certain specialists for free advice -- e.g. you can ask a lawyer for some legal advice or talk to a therapist, amongst other services.

The company even offers up to 3 months of paid medical leave..

Aside from benefits, job security, and exciting projects, everyone there is very intelligent and good peers/team-mates are essential in any corporation.

Cons

Large corporations have a certain bureaucracy and more red tape than startups, naturally.

Promotions at Google require either someone to nominate you (rare) or self-nomination during regular performance review cycles.

Performance review cycles are a big pain and context interrupt. Many share this view though it is believed to be a necessary evil.

Not high up enough to have an opinion on this and get involved in company politics. Have only worked here about a year..

There are newer employer reviews for Google