There are newer employer reviews for Google

Beyond the fantasy, Google is still corporate.

Former Employee - Technical Sourcer  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

They definitely encourage a good work life balance. When dealing with other areas of life, they ensure that employees are given enough time to take care of everything. The perks are great as well - free food, snacks, and drinks, author talks, artists who perform, game areas - these are all things that relieve stress and enable employees to focus better and be more productive.

Cons

Google is still a corporation, and there are some managers who don't fit well within the culture. Since they play down titles, and the organizational structure is flat, micro managers kill morale.

When timelines and quotas are tight - give employees space to breathe instead of breathing down their necks. Everyone at Google is type A, and able to pull their own weight. Just give them the information they need and they will take care of it.

2476 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Google is probably the best place to work there is.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Challenging, rewarding work found nowhere else. Without going into detail, Google offers problems found nowhere else in the computer industry, in many different areas. It's also pretty easy to move from one job to another if you find you're not satisfied with what you're doing.

Cons

It's now a large company, with the downsides of that. It's growing and experiencing a certain amount of growing pains. Unfortunately, some people seem not to recognize that what works when a company is just a few hundred or a thousand employees doesn't necessarily work when the company grows to the size Google currently is.

I think senior management is actually doing a good job, both managing growth within the company and dealing with the inevitable issues that arise when a company becomes as large as Google. With its growth, Google has become a target. They've dealt with this well, I think. They're also doing well in adapting to the political reality of a large corporation in the United States. _And_ they seem to have managed to retain their ethics while doing so.

Mmm. Tasty desserts.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Free food, and a good variety, perks, fun and competent teammates. The bonus plan is pretty good.

They have a lot of social events, but unlike some other reviewers I never felt like I was forced to go to them, and I don't think I get labeled as 'ungoogley' because of it.

I feel pretty free to work on what I want to work on, and I don't feel over-managed.

Cons

I spend quite a bit of time at work, but really this is mostly because I like what I'm working on, and they have better snacks there than I do at home. It's almost insidious.

I don't know.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!