Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Wonderful Place

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, perks, interesting projects, learning and growth opportunity. Google offers a lot of career development, and even a lot of entertainment onsite.

Cons

Overheads of checking in codes, politics in certain groups. Sometimes people are spending a lot of time working just on trivial stuff.

Focus more on technical stuff

2931 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

It's Google -- it lives up to its reputation

I have been working at Google as a contractor

Pros

- Free Food
    - the amenities are endless and truly amazing! It feels like a college campus more than a work campus.

Cons

It is such a big company, it's really hard to list the pros and cons! It depends what you are looking for and what team you are on. It probably even depends what office or campus you work on. I can't speak to every situation when it comes to Google. I worked on a contractor, so for me, the perks were still great, but you always feel a little left out when you are not a full time employee. In my experience, my managers didn't really educate or work with me directly. I had a teammate who managed me, and he was great! But it felt a bit isolating at times. I also wish I would have participated in more events, groups and activities. But I think you have to feel comfortable in your role before you branch out, and right when I got to that place, my contract was over!

I think mentoring contractors (TVCs), making them feel included, being honest with them about their opportunity to continue with the company, and connecting them to resources more would be nice! But overall, working for Google is a surreal experience and it was amazing!

Inspiring, supportive, challenging, rewarding.

Current Employee - Design Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Design Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding perks and rewards, high expectations, challenging work, lots of empowerment and minimal micromanagement, good collaboration, good lateral and vertical mobility, smart and do-the-right-thing colleagues, fair and unbiased feedback and performance evaluations, very transparent and good access to leadership.

Cons

Even the best big companies have some amount of politics and some amount of duplicate or discarded work. Plus, when you've got a lot of people working on something, the work is sharded into smaller and more specialized bits, and some of those are naturally less interesting than others.

Keep it up. Keep thinking big and long term. Keep moving forward.

There are newer employer reviews for Google