Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Google

A great place for software engineers, but not researchers

Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Total compensation is very good. Benefits are good, too. Free food, drinks, and stuff. Very flexible work environment. Flat hierarchy of management. Huge codebases to start with. Good for software engineers to develop skills. Good to put on resume.

Cons

Work pressure is big. The company likes code better than research ideas. Research progress is slow due to the constraints on the tools.

Google research can be more dedicated on advancing the state-of-the-art to compete with other industrial research labs such as Microsoft Research and IBM T.J. Watson Research Center.

3060 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

one of the great companies of our time

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

There is no finer collection of engineering talent on the planet. Good perks, great free food. Fantastic talks from visiting speakers.

Cons

Google doesn't compete on speed -- it competes on quality. In that regard it is a lot like Blizzard. So if you're entrepreneurial and like to attack new markets this is not a good place for you.

guys, you still think you can attack any market. The reality is: Google's culture produces high quality, high performance products ... slowly. Therefore, don't waste your time and effort competing in rapidly evolving markets like social networks -- concentrate instead on staid and stodgy markets where the dominant design is clear and quality, performance and cost are significant differentiators. Android, Chrome and Chrome OS are good examples, but also, why not kill Oracle, EMC, Cloudera, etc.? As for facebook, wait for social networking to mature, then fight on quality.

Good company and perqs; work itself is often lacking in substance and satisfaction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google

Pros

* World-class, brilliant coworkers
    * Excellent benefits and physical environment
    * Above-average total compensation compared to other local companies
    * Some groups do very cutting-edge work

Cons

* Much of the work is not interesting
    * Mid-level executive leadership is questionable
    * "Death march" schedules and random priority changes becoming more common
    * No career path from engineer to having substantive influence over what gets worked on
    * Too many overqualified people forced into work that's beneath their abilities

Eric seems to be on the ball, but I'm less impressed by many of our VPs. I feel like I'm being assigned to projects as a lowest-common-denominator coder, because it's too complicated to keep track of what people are good at in an organization this size. I also feel that any insight I might have is basically unwanted and my job is to shut up and write code to support other people's visions. It's not an inherently very satisfying job, and I think it's going to become harder for Google to continue to attract top people if something doesn't change.

There are newer employer reviews for Google