Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

what a heck of experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

highly recommended for college graduates. this is a place you got to work for.

Cons

too much free food, got to watch out of your weight

keep all the good stuff rolling

2809 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Terrific opportunities for growth and impact

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Having been at Google longer than 9 out of 10 employees, I still feel the business poses me with fresh challenges and terrific learning opportunities virtually every day. I have been able to pursue several distinct "mini-careers" at the company, with promotions and transfers available as I hit major project milestones. The career environment is ideal for someone who thrives on complexity, who takes initiative, and who communicates well and constantly with technical collaborators.

I feel that management empowers and facilitates individual contributors. You have a fantastic liberty here to challenge how things are done (whether bureaucratically, technically or in product design). Expect fast and constant change. You can step up and drive that change, too, if you have the chops -- the courage to express a coherent vision, and the stamina and depth of skill to follow through. A high impact project at Google can affect a global user base of hundreds of millions (or is it billions now?), and can shape the course and direction of whole industries. You can provide great benefit to users worldwide. The right answer to a search query can literally save a life, reorient a career, or enrich a relationship. And while search is critically important, we do so much more.

When it works, it is a total jazz. When it doesn't work, well, you fail fast and try something new. Everyone outside tends to ask, "What company will be the next Google?", but internally we remain quite ambitious: "My project at Google will be the next Google!"

The people here are great to work with. Passionate about ideas, compassionate toward others, with many innovative superstars, and a culture that celebrates diversity. Of course, there is some politics, human nature and fallibility -- as you will find anywhere -- but I find the overall environment positive and well intentioned.

Cons

Working at Google has a stiff learning curve, and it can be challenging to ramp up and get your footing here -- especially if you have been doing software development 10+ years elsewhere and are accustomed to being a big fish. In you aren't on a very short list of luminaries (e.g. a Vint Cerf), then respect and influence have to be re-earned from scratch based on what you do at the company. Your past merits may have helped you get in the door, but inside they buy you nothing. So, to thrive here you have to grow and sustain some inspiration about what's possible, to keep your head above the daily grind of routine work.

Working at Google can isolate you from the global technology community, as well as sometimes from our users. We have our own technology stack and internal lingo, so systems and methods learned here aren't always transferable. We exist in an extreme media spotlight, in highly competitive markets, dealing with sensitive information, so we are very cautious about sharing anything externally. The culture tends to be inward facing: everything is on campus (the Googleplex) -- meals, entertainment, perk, education, tech talks -- so why engage outside of the bubble? Our approach is to solve everything with automation so that the system works on a global scale, but human-to-human customer service does not "scale", and so is sometimes given short shrift.

I find that Google's leadership is willing to make hard choices with integrity. They are an inspiration -- and they are always challenging us to reach further, try harder, think more deeply.

A great place for software engineers, but not researchers

Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Total compensation is very good. Benefits are good, too. Free food, drinks, and stuff. Very flexible work environment. Flat hierarchy of management. Huge codebases to start with. Good for software engineers to develop skills. Good to put on resume.

Cons

Work pressure is big. The company likes code better than research ideas. Research progress is slow due to the constraints on the tools.

Google research can be more dedicated on advancing the state-of-the-art to compete with other industrial research labs such as Microsoft Research and IBM T.J. Watson Research Center.

There are newer employer reviews for Google