great benefits, culture struggling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

projects have high visibility & impact work with very intelligent colleagues employees are well catered to

Cons

elitism and arrogance are commonplace low promotion rate = highly competitive as company grows individual work becomes less impactful

Advice to Management

rebuild the company into crossfunctional business units to regain agility

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Poor ethics, cult-like atmosphere

Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

great side benefits, free food, nice setting for a corporation. Some of the people were nice to work with, young atmosphere

Cons

all benefits at Google are provided so as to keep you at work as long as possible. Serious egotism is a problem.

Advice to Management

Google leadership needs to remove themselves from their self created pedestal. The world would not end if Google suddenly no longer existed.

Overworked

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google takes care of almost all of your needs, from computer and ergo equipment to a ride to work, a rental car when you need it for an errand, and tons of free food. They do a great job at trying to remove any worries about life so you can focus on your job.

Cons

The downside is that you'll need to take advantage of all that because you'll be so busy with work. My experience was that doing well at Google took over my life completely while I was there, requiring me to work during the shuttle ride, at work and during lunches, on the shuttle ride home, and most evenings and weekends. When I talked to other folks inside the company, many of them agreed that they had the same experience.

Advice to Management

The company seems to be founded on the idea that if you hire smart people, you can run the company with a bottom-up, siloed strategy, and things will go well. But as the company has grown, a more top-down approach, and one that breaks down product silos, is becoming very important in order to take on major initiatives. I haven't seen the company address this growing need adequately yet.