Google

great benefits, culture struggling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

projects have high visibility & impact
work with very intelligent colleagues
employees are well catered to

Cons

elitism and arrogance are commonplace
low promotion rate = highly competitive
as company grows individual work becomes less impactful

rebuild the company into crossfunctional business units to regain agility

2799 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Fun Place To Work

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great community and a great place to work. The benefits are top notch and the managers seem to generally care about the career future of their employees.

Cons

Work is all about self-starting, for good or for bad. If you don't try and create your own projects or find things to do, you will end up doing the things no one wants to do. While this is good for innovation, it makes the first few months on the job suck, as you won't know enough about the baseline to innovate anything.

In finance, automation should be key. The analysts spend too much time doing things that a computer could take care of. Either purchase software to do some of the job or force internal engineering to develop new applications faster.

Overworked

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google takes care of almost all of your needs, from computer and ergo equipment to a ride to work, a rental car when you need it for an errand, and tons of free food. They do a great job at trying to remove any worries about life so you can focus on your job.

Cons

The downside is that you'll need to take advantage of all that because you'll be so busy with work. My experience was that doing well at Google took over my life completely while I was there, requiring me to work during the shuttle ride, at work and during lunches, on the shuttle ride home, and most evenings and weekends. When I talked to other folks inside the company, many of them agreed that they had the same experience.

The company seems to be founded on the idea that if you hire smart people, you can run the company with a bottom-up, siloed strategy, and things will go well. But as the company has grown, a more top-down approach, and one that breaks down product silos, is becoming very important in order to take on major initiatives. I haven't seen the company address this growing need adequately yet.

There are newer employer reviews for Google