Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

27 years old and at a loss for what's next:

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Coming out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

Cons

Google is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Consider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

2795 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Best place to work!

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

- Relaxed yet professional working set up
    - Opportunity for learning and professional growth
    - Excellent food
    - Good salary and healthy competition
    - Very helpful colleagues

Cons

- Its is a big organization,thus takes time to understand various departments and areas
    - Hate to sit in cubical

They are doing great, so far this is the best company I have worked with. I feel lucky about it. I think Google is one of the most professional, honest and clear company who treats their employee fair. I know the Management knows their vision and will maintain their focus. Good luck!

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is a good place to work.

Cons

Google has become a big company.

They should allow incoming people to chose teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Google