There are newer employer reviews for Google

As good as I thought it would be

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google

Pros

Good compensation, great benefits, great culture. Also, the fact that after working with Google, you can basically pick where you want to work next. Working on new and exciting projects (Android, etc.). Learning from the best is a great way to enhance your skills and develop professionally.

Cons

You gotta put a lot of work in, and working with so many talented people can be intimidating. Some of the people (especially people who were here before the IPO) can be a little full of themselves (but most people are pretty down-to-earth). Also, with so many people working there, sometimes it can be easy to feel a little powerless, and you might not have the same sense of personal accomplishment that you do with a smaller startup.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. There is such a thing as a free lunch after all.

Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Google is not a conventional company, and we don’t intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, we’re committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards.

Cons

Google has offices around the globe, from Bangalore to Zurich, but regardless of where we are, we nurture an invigorating, positive environment by hiring talented, local people who share our commitment to creating search perfection and want to have a great time doing it. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate about their lives as they are about their work. Lend a helping hand. With millions of visitors every month, Google has become an essential part of everyday life - like a good friend - connecting people with the information they need to live great lives. Life is beautiful. Being a part of something that matters and working on products in which you can believe is remarkably fulfilling. Appreciation is the best motivation, so we’ve created a fun and inspiring workspace you’ll be glad to be a part of, including on-site doctor and dentist; massage and yoga; professional development opportunities; shoreline running trails; and plenty of snacks to get you through the day. Work and play are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to code and pass the puck at the same time

Advice to Management

* Know what interests you about Google and why you've applied. * Familiarize yourself with Google's products and services here (you may be asked both business related questions). Research our competitors. * If you are interviewing for a software engineering or technical role, be ready to answer high-level technical questions on data-structures and algorithms. We would like you to code up your answers on boards with our engineers. * Familiarize yourself with the job description you are interested in. * If you are interviewing for a software engineering role then you may first want to visit the website www.topcoder.com. Please launch the 'Arena' widget and go to the practice rooms where you can solve problems in the first and second division. * Ensure you can substantiate anything your CV says - for instance, if you list Java or Haskell as your key programming language, questions about this are fair game and may be asked of you.

Still a good company, but may not be the best anymore

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Cutting-edge technology, famous brand, good food. The good weather here in mountain view, ca is also a good reason. If you are tired with the free food here, go get some decent dinners in the Castro street nearby. You can also learn a lot from tech talks, open days, the moma, and the code tree itself. Google's code base may not be the biggest, but its quality is the best in the world.

Cons

it is a good place for college graduates but may not be good for ambitious people. The decision to quit is difficult because of the perks, the good food, and the admires from people around you when they know you are a googler. But there is a reason for so many talent people to leave this company ...

Advice to Management

Fifty engineers under one manager? No doubt many googlers complaint not getting fair reviews.