Great company, great people, lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

(1) Culture - very open, lots of respect for people, not hierarchical
(2) People - highly driven, intelligent and very friendly
(3) Opportunities - high growth, still at the beginning of the advertising shift online
(4) Nature of the work - fast paced, highly innovative

Cons

(1) Worklife/balance - very hard working environment. Can be a con for some. Overall the company tries to manage this as best as possible, but the reality of being in a fast-growing highly innovative company is more work than in a slower paced environment
(2) Getting large/bureaucratic - for a fast moving company, it has grown up since the mid-2000s and so is more bureaucratic than say a startup but MUCH LESS than other corporates

(1) Keep thinking big but acting small - entrepreneurial/innovative in a much bigger field / company
(2) Continue to hire the best - this drives all the pros of working at Google

Other Reviews for Google

Google's a great company, but hard to understand

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Google

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits, including very generous match for charitable donations.

Cons

Needs to be run more tightly and with more focus.

Spend more time and resources getting new employees oriented and productive.

27 years old and at a loss for what's next:

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Coming out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

Cons

Google is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Consider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!