There are newer employer reviews for Google

Google's a great company, but hard to understand

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Google

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits, including very generous match for charitable donations.

Cons

Needs to be run more tightly and with more focus.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and resources getting new employees oriented and productive.

reviews filtered by

27 years old and at a loss for what's next:

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Coming out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

Cons

Google is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Advice to Management

Consider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

Best place to work!

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

- Relaxed yet professional working set up
    - Opportunity for learning and professional growth
    - Excellent food
    - Good salary and healthy competition
    - Very helpful colleagues

Cons

- Its is a big organization,thus takes time to understand various departments and areas
    - Hate to sit in cubical

Advice to Management

They are doing great, so far this is the best company I have worked with. I feel lucky about it. I think Google is one of the most professional, honest and clear company who treats their employee fair. I know the Management knows their vision and will maintain their focus. Good luck!

There are newer employer reviews for Google