Google
4.2 of 5 2,280 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Great place to start your career

Associate, Online Sales & Operations (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

ProsIt was a great place to be working for straight out of college. When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. Benefits can't be beat. Besides the free lunches, fantastic 401k, etc, you get large bonuses fairly often. Co-workers were intelligent and great to work with for the most part. I also had a great relationship with my manager and thought I was treated fairly, but it can vary widely at Google. All in all, there's few better places to start off for a young college grad.

ConsAs a non-engineer, your starting pay is pretty low. It's made up through bonuses and other compensation methods, but when I went to another company, it was harder to negotiate a higher pay due to my low base pay at Google. It's also starting to become a big company, so you have layers of middle management who are just a couple of years out of college and don't have the experience to manage people well. Most were great workers, but many don't understand that there's a large difference between doing your own work well and making sure that others do their work well through your guidance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out constant new ways to empower employees to take risks.

Google is still the best company to work for

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

Pros: 1. Incredibly smart engineers. Most Googlers I am working with are very well-rounded, I feel I could learn a lot from most of them. 2.… Cons: 1. Not perfectly fair promotion process 2. Give too much opportunities to low performers (i.e. take too long time to… Advice to Senior Management: 1. Eject low performers. 2. Pay less attention to school ranking… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Best company I've worked at that hasn't gone under.

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

Pros: The projects are interesting. There are interesting data sets to explore. There are cool tools to use, along with infrastructure for puttnig together new… Cons: The bottom-up management style means that some good ideas with… Advice to Senior Management: Don't screw it up. More
There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.