Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

It was a great place to be working for straight out of college. When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. Benefits can't be beat. Besides the free lunches, fantastic 401k, etc, you get large bonuses fairly often. Co-workers were intelligent and great to work with for the most part. I also had a great relationship with my manager and thought I was treated fairly, but it can vary widely at Google. All in all, there's few better places to start off for a young college grad.

Cons

As a non-engineer, your starting pay is pretty low. It's made up through bonuses and other compensation methods, but when I went to another company, it was harder to negotiate a higher pay due to my low base pay at Google. It's also starting to become a big company, so you have layers of middle management who are just a couple of years out of college and don't have the experience to manage people well. Most were great workers, but many don't understand that there's a large difference between doing your own work well and making sure that others do their work well through your guidance.

Figure out constant new ways to empower employees to take risks.

Other Reviews for Google

Best company I've worked at that hasn't gone under.

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The projects are interesting. There are interesting data sets to explore. There are cool tools to use, along with infrastructure for puttnig together new tools. The people are great--when you meet a "dud" at Google, it tends to stick in your memory since the duds are so rare. It's satisfying to work on a service that's helped so many people. The food is great; chefs are treated like rock stars and rightly so. The company has income; this is a pleasant change after working at other software development companies.

Cons

The bottom-up management style means that some good ideas with uncharismatic boosters get buried.

Don't screw it up.

Google is still the best company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

1. Incredibly smart engineers. Most Googlers I am working with are very well-rounded, I feel I could learn a lot from most of them.
    2. Big impact. I can contribute to products which are used by millions of people every day.
    3. Deal with challenging problems.
    4. Flexible hours and relaxing working environments (including all the perks such as free meal and message)

Cons

1. Not perfectly fair promotion process
    2. Give too much opportunities to low performers (i.e. take too long time to eject low performers)
    3. The company size is getting too big.
    4. Salary is relatively low compared to other top software companies.

1. Eject low performers.
    2. Pay less attention to school ranking in the hiring process
    3. Make promotion process fair.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!