Google
4.2 of 5 2,279 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Good place to start, but do not stay there for a long

Stff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

ProsGoogle is the best place to start for a fresh graduate.
You can learn a lot here. I loved working on mapreduce infrastructure, the google implementation is years ahead of any implementation (hadoop etc) and learned a lot.
It was incredibly easy to find a job after I left Google, my experience was valued very much by other companies.
Until very recent times Google was the best place to work on new innovative projects in any area from information retrieval and natural language processing to large scale distributed system. The infrastructure of datacenters is very impressive, very few companies can give you similar resources.
It's up to employee to decide how much time he spends in his office and how much time he works from home.
Food is free and many other benefits are available.

ConsGoogle management is pretty bad. Many cool innovative ideas from engineers were "killed" by managers because they were unable to understand their importance. Projects similar to facebook and yelp were made in google long time ago and they did not start and succeed because of management failure. Top management never understood importance of social and local until very recent time.
Promotion system is really bad. I was glad to get my promotions but many people are very unhappy. There is no fair system to evaluate quality and amount of your results. Basically, everything depends on your manager, he likes you, you are doing very well, he dislikes you, you are in hell.
Recent privacy scandals were very embarrassing for many employees. I did not expect my company to intercept wi-fi traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and listening to them.
Start respecting privacy laws, so your employees will respect you and your policies

Amazing if you're an engineer. Great if you're anything but.

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros: - Number of unparalleled perks and benefits - Known for its young,… Cons: - Easy to feel lost in the crowd - If you're not an engineer, you're not… Advice to Senior Management: - Provide more opportunities for advancement within and across the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

taxing

Product Tmanager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros: stock is doing well so i am happy Cons: unorganized no focus to individual efforts Advice to Senior Management: get real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects More
There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.