Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Good place to start, but do not stay there for a long

Former Employee - Stff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Stff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is the best place to start for a fresh graduate.
You can learn a lot here. I loved working on mapreduce infrastructure, the google implementation is years ahead of any implementation (hadoop etc) and learned a lot.
It was incredibly easy to find a job after I left Google, my experience was valued very much by other companies.
Until very recent times Google was the best place to work on new innovative projects in any area from information retrieval and natural language processing to large scale distributed system. The infrastructure of datacenters is very impressive, very few companies can give you similar resources.
It's up to employee to decide how much time he spends in his office and how much time he works from home.
Food is free and many other benefits are available.

Cons

Google management is pretty bad. Many cool innovative ideas from engineers were "killed" by managers because they were unable to understand their importance. Projects similar to facebook and yelp were made in google long time ago and they did not start and succeed because of management failure. Top management never understood importance of social and local until very recent time.
Promotion system is really bad. I was glad to get my promotions but many people are very unhappy. There is no fair system to evaluate quality and amount of your results. Basically, everything depends on your manager, he likes you, you are doing very well, he dislikes you, you are in hell.
Recent privacy scandals were very embarrassing for many employees. I did not expect my company to intercept wi-fi traffic.

Start respecting your employees and listening to them.
Start respecting privacy laws, so your employees will respect you and your policies

2713 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Forward-thinking, innovative company with plenty of opportunities to grow

Current Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google has one of the best company environments I've ever worked in. People are friendly, intelligent, honest, and genuinely concerned about the user experience above all else.

Cons

As Google grows, it seems like there are hundreds of different projects going on at once. It is a bit overwhelming, but also very exciting to see that Google can foster such an open, start-up environment.

Keep up the incredible work! As Google has grown, the management team has successfully remained focused on the user and the employees.

Best place in the world to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great perks, people, great products and lots of flexibility

Cons

Goolge has to win over it's competitors: Apple and Facebook if it is going to continue to grow and still have a stock that keeps going up!

Keep up the great work! Dont acquire Twitter