Google

There are newer employer reviews for Google

taxing

Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Product Tmanager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

stock is doing well so i am happy

Cons

unorganized no focus to individual efforts

get real - stop pursuing pipe dream projects

2813 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

A great place to work but upward mobility seems less than likely

Former Employee - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Still one of the best places to work--amazing perks, a true commitment to work-life balance, incredible openness about important company information from the top-down, dedicated to providing feedback and resources to help you develop professionally, smart/friendly/driven individuals that you interact with every day

Cons

Base pay is just okay; work is not easy (very sink or swim), lots of internal procedures are always changing and often confusing; difficult to maintain a balance with so many things going on at once (a diversity/chaos of activity)

Providing opportunities for accelerated upward growth will help reward top talent

Good place to start, but do not stay there for a long

Former Employee - Stff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Stff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is the best place to start for a fresh graduate.
    You can learn a lot here. I loved working on mapreduce infrastructure, the google implementation is years ahead of any implementation (hadoop etc) and learned a lot.
    It was incredibly easy to find a job after I left Google, my experience was valued very much by other companies.
    Until very recent times Google was the best place to work on new innovative projects in any area from information retrieval and natural language processing to large scale distributed system. The infrastructure of datacenters is very impressive, very few companies can give you similar resources.
    It's up to employee to decide how much time he spends in his office and how much time he works from home.
    Food is free and many other benefits are available.

Cons

Google management is pretty bad. Many cool innovative ideas from engineers were "killed" by managers because they were unable to understand their importance. Projects similar to facebook and yelp were made in google long time ago and they did not start and succeed because of management failure. Top management never understood importance of social and local until very recent time.
    Promotion system is really bad. I was glad to get my promotions but many people are very unhappy. There is no fair system to evaluate quality and amount of your results. Basically, everything depends on your manager, he likes you, you are doing very well, he dislikes you, you are in hell.
    Recent privacy scandals were very embarrassing for many employees. I did not expect my company to intercept wi-fi traffic.

Start respecting your employees and listening to them.
    Start respecting privacy laws, so your employees will respect you and your policies

There are newer employer reviews for Google