Google

As great as you think

Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Huge variety of projects, wonderful people, brilliant minds, awesome perks, fairly easy to move from project to project, real room for independent initiative (management rarely blocks new ideas and rarely interferes with decision making), stock options and shares very valuable.

If you're looking to be immersed in the internet world, become involved with really (really) big business, and see how huge scale matters and how it is handled and developed, there's hardly a better place for this than Google.

Free lunch and free transportation are more than just nifty perks. They make people's lives really easy and support a work environment that's very productive without being oppressive. Nobody is required to work long hours, but a lot of people just do.

Cons

It *is* a big company now so prospects for huge monetary windfalls are less substantial than at a great start-up. Promotion competition is stiff in some areas, but working with great people always has that downside.

Keep focusing on retaining the culture and supporting innovation!

2931 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

kicks ass

Current Employee - Tech Lead/Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead/Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

great pay, great flexibility. Nobody pampers engineers like Google. Focus is on small teams, self-starting and self-motivating engineers. Much less power politics than I've found elsewhere.

Cons

no offices.
    Excessive focus on engineering means that non-engineering disciplines (finance, HR, legal, marketing) are under-valued.
    A lot more boring ads work than you would think.

What you valued as a 25 year old Systems grad student is not necesarily what you should value now.
    In particular, there is more to CS than Systems, and there is more to a company than CS

Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is a very nice company to work for. The company is very transparent about its policies and directions, and keeps every one up-to-date of latest development.

People have strong ownership of things they do. And I feel that compensation is really good. The bonus is really generous (about 30% of your salary), and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

Benefits are excellent, but I think Microsoft's medical coverage is better, and Microsoft matches charitable donation up to 12,000 per year but Google only matches up to 3,000.

I think management is very good in Google. The organization hierarchy is fairly lean. My manager has 30 people reporting to him, so, it's hard for any manager to micro-manage, and that gives people a lot of ownership of their projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Google