Google

As great as you think

Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Huge variety of projects, wonderful people, brilliant minds, awesome perks, fairly easy to move from project to project, real room for independent initiative (management rarely blocks new ideas and rarely interferes with decision making), stock options and shares very valuable.

If you're looking to be immersed in the internet world, become involved with really (really) big business, and see how huge scale matters and how it is handled and developed, there's hardly a better place for this than Google.

Free lunch and free transportation are more than just nifty perks. They make people's lives really easy and support a work environment that's very productive without being oppressive. Nobody is required to work long hours, but a lot of people just do.

Cons

It *is* a big company now so prospects for huge monetary windfalls are less substantial than at a great start-up. Promotion competition is stiff in some areas, but working with great people always has that downside.

Keep focusing on retaining the culture and supporting innovation!

2690 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great company! (although there are risks on the horizon)

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

The people, the culture, the fun!

Cons

Constantly changing business environment leads to very unpredictable long-term vision (e.g. what I focus on today, I know will be dramatically restructured 6 months from now)

Innovate more! Be more forceful about getting rid of poor employees

Still the best experience of my life

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

In my opionion, Google is truly the best large company to work for. Why?
    1) A common strain of intellectual curiosity among Googlers makes for one of the most stimulating learning environments. No judgment for anything other than ethical errors -- of course, it pays to be smart and make good decisions ;)
    2) Family in every part of the world -- i traveled alot for work and everywhere i went, once i stepped into a google office, I felt at home. The people were just as googley, the environment was just as comfortable. I felt part of a big family.
    3) A true care for employees -- benefits are benefits, but I see the heart beind it. I have never felt so taken care of by an employer nor felt an employer go out of its way to make work easy for its employees. From the ease of dealing with the tech stop (our version of technical support), to the overhaul of the mini kitchens to keep us healthy. Everything was done with heart.
    4) Indiscriminate respect for all levels -- i worked closely with senior management and never once did i feel slighted. all opinions were considered as long as you had the "balls" to bring it up. I felt like a member of the team with real value add from the very start. It was a trip overseas and i was asked to lead a meeting with some officials. I was hesitant and stated my inexperience (i was 25!). my eng director at the time said one thing i would never forget: "Age and experience is not an issue. You're here now and you know what we need accomplished, so i'm sure you'll figure it out".
    5) Autonomy -- I've started multiple projects at google that have now taken root and have either become part of how the company is defined or have affected change in a meaningful way. None were part of my original job scope, and were ideas i took upon myself to get implemented. It truly is an entrepreneurs' playground -- you need to rally support, obtain resources and push through to completion. But if you put your mind to it, Google is a place you can get anything that has true value done.

Cons

1) Takes too long to eject incompetent people, so you might have to deal with less capable managers (not often, but sometimes)-- there are some people in the organization whose skills have not scaled with the growth of the organization, even though their responsibilities have. It would be good to have more efficient involuntary attrition.

Keep up the great work, LSE, in terms of setting and communicating the mission of the company.

1) Be more aware of poor leadership within the ranks, and mean it when you want something changed.
    2) Make it easier for engineers to get resources when needed, or at least make it possible to obtain it from other sources.

There are newer employer reviews for Google