There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great perks, great projects, great food, long hours if you're not careful.

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

There's a ton of engineering resources, and everything is pretty open and transparent within the company. Lots of on the job perks, and there are really cool projects all over the company to spend time on.

Cons

There is a culture of working long hours there, and 20% time is pretty much a myth now. If anything, it's 120% time. As well, the San Francisco to Mountain View commute is a little grating after a while.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I didn't really interact with senior management a whole lot, so I couldn't really say.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

MBA + no experience = better than no MBA and lots of experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The food, the smart co-workers, the overall benefits package.

Cons

The salary, the internal politics, the young, clueless, and arrogant MBA managers leading more experienced people and not listening to them.

Advice to Management

Hire more seasoned managers, give more experienced people the hope of promotion even if they do not have MBAs, be more aware of internal politics, fiefdom-building, backstabbing, and disrespect to non-managers, and compensate experienced people more. There is currently a huge gulf in salaries between people who have been working for a long time in one particular niche and newly minted MBAs with hardly any work experience. It is insulting and demotivating to work under these conditions.

2. everything they say and more

Former Employee - Associate Quantitative Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Quantitative Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Amazing resources available onsite. All the perks really are amazing as they say. not only is the food amazing but they also have haircuts, car washes, massages, social events, and more all available without leaving the campus. The people also are really smart and amazing. My group would go to snack (a free warm snack at 3 PM) and do brain teasers/philosophy puzzles.

Cons

I did not find all of my work to be necessary. Also, my department was located somewhat far from the main campus so I didn't feel like I got to know as many people as I would have liked.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job. TGIF, where all employees can find out about what has happened this week, is excellent.