There are newer employer reviews for Google

Excellent, but Stressful.

Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google

Pros

Great infrastructure, great technology, great food (bad for keeping fit though).

Cons

Slow process from idea to launch, too many hoops to run through.
Infrastructure not easily transferable outside of Google.

More efficient ways to go from ideas to launch.

2571 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

One of the best places to work as an engineer, period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

A value placed upon moving fast and breaking things. A true meritocracy culture. As egalitarian a workforce as I have ever seen. Probably the best engineering team on the planet. Incredible benefits and pay.

Cons

A few things have slowed down a bit due to growth. A bit more siloed than it used to be. Of all places, the highest praise I can give is that I find very very little to complain about.

Nice perks, it's better if you can get in at a high level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Really great people-- smart and interesting. Good cadence of people wanting to do new things. It's a huge company with lots of global offices so there are opportunities to do international assignments which is really amazing.

Cons

Getting political, and there is a big difference between old timers and new comers, right out of college and MBAs. They recruit for AdWords right out of college and the pay is ok-- but I think they largely get incredibly talented at a low "price" just b/c it's Google. If you don't have an advanced degree, you're told you can move around (and you can, title and job wise) but it's going to be lateral moves for the most part. Moving up seems virtually impossible these days.

Transparency is something the company is proud of. It's pretty good here but at the same time, there are tons of instances of favoritism. For example, a lot of people in the AdWords department managed people they were previously friends with. It made a lot of promotion decisions seem less-than-objective. I would have upper management really consider how middle managers are selected and how they do their jobs b/c there are some really crummy middle managers who make life for their teams pretty rotten.

There are newer employer reviews for Google