There are newer employer reviews for Google

Fun and still as interesting as it sounds

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

Opportunity for big impact
Fun people
Can afford to do anything they decide to -- its not a startup experience

Cons

Large and growing size means your team and manager are your destiny more than Google overall
Few opportunities to grow into leadership positions
Some things take too long to get done now that there are so many people to consult before locking a decision

Advice to Management

Focus -- there are still too many projects, moving parts

reviews filtered by

Nice perks, it's better if you can get in at a high level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Really great people-- smart and interesting. Good cadence of people wanting to do new things. It's a huge company with lots of global offices so there are opportunities to do international assignments which is really amazing.

Cons

Getting political, and there is a big difference between old timers and new comers, right out of college and MBAs. They recruit for AdWords right out of college and the pay is ok-- but I think they largely get incredibly talented at a low "price" just b/c it's Google. If you don't have an advanced degree, you're told you can move around (and you can, title and job wise) but it's going to be lateral moves for the most part. Moving up seems virtually impossible these days.

Advice to Management

Transparency is something the company is proud of. It's pretty good here but at the same time, there are tons of instances of favoritism. For example, a lot of people in the AdWords department managed people they were previously friends with. It made a lot of promotion decisions seem less-than-objective. I would have upper management really consider how middle managers are selected and how they do their jobs b/c there are some really crummy middle managers who make life for their teams pretty rotten.

One of the best places to work as an engineer, period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

A value placed upon moving fast and breaking things. A true meritocracy culture. As egalitarian a workforce as I have ever seen. Probably the best engineering team on the planet. Incredible benefits and pay.

Cons

A few things have slowed down a bit due to growth. A bit more siloed than it used to be. Of all places, the highest praise I can give is that I find very very little to complain about.