Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Recruiting at Google is an experience you must not miss

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The teamwork is wonderful and supportive, though competitive as all get out. Recruiting for the best of the best is an interesting and vital experience at Google. The ATS is wonderful, compared to others out there. The culture is vital, dynamic and engaging.

Cons

The up and down sides are there is a lot of change. Google does not get stale, that is for sure. But the processes change a lot which makes it a little less sticky than it "should" be, IMHO. There is a lot of social competitiveness that is very intense, but that does drive excellence, even if you do feel like your job could end any minute.

I think the leaders need to lead more and accept the performers that are not excellent but highly functional. That way you can keep people for the long haul.

2795 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Dynamic, innovative, creative and simplicity

Cons

Competitive, demanding, and long hours

Inconsistent managers plague Google

Former Employee - Engineering and Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering and Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Perks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

Cons

Your time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Stop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

There are newer employer reviews for Google