There are newer employer reviews for Gordmans

Very fair

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodbury, MN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Strong management, respectful team, fair compensation, given time off when needed, fair to all employees, regardless of experience, nice people

Cons

not very exciting work, gets very repetitive, little room for advancement, pay rarely increases, only given strong feedback at review, which is only once per year.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Gordmans (View Most Recent)

Retail Boot Camp

Current Employee - Department Lead  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Department Lead in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

The assocaites, we have a good time and get the job done.

Cons

Too focused on associates 'wasting time' instead of guests.
    Payroll is cut to far from any other company, 1 person can be responsible for up to 3 departments at time of close.
    No work, life balance
    Always overlooked for promotions, they always hire from outside even after promising promotions for years.

Look at giving on payroll some to help on sales floor to push sales.

Great co-workers, but terribly managed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Accessories)  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Accessories) in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

The people who work there are all great. I can't think of one person I can say I dislike.

Associates who work well get good hours, and pretty consistently. I get 25-37 a week, which is not bad. I only wish I was paid a bit more for the work I do sometimes.

Reasonable 20% employee discount on top of the already-low prices is hard to beat, especially with the relatively frequent Friends & Family weekends when our discount is bumped up to 30%.

Cons

The management is pretty exclusive when it comes to communicating. Kind of almost like they're still a kind of high school clique. They have obvious favoritism, they take FORVER to get back to you on most things (i.e. promotions, interviews, requests for time off), and when you do finally hear about your time off, they get "revenge" for you having requested off by bombing your hours for that week.

I took off five days to fly to my grandparents for Thanksgiving and therefore missing Black Friday when we were going to be "all hands on deck". However, I fortunately knew a little over a month ahead of time when I would be leaving and coming back. What I didn't know at the time was that we weren't actually allowed to schedule Black Friday off. Not only did they not actually approve the vacation until the day of on Dayforce, but they gave me absolutely no hours for the days I was still in town. I'm not sure if this was out of kindness or anger, but I was slightly disgruntled, as I still wanted to have some money to spend on Christmas.

We were also told that we would be getting our schedules two weeks ahead of time at the beginning (in July), however, it's now December, and I have yet to see my schedule even a week prior. I usually see it the Thursday night before the work week begins on Sunday. At best, they'll post it Wednesday night, giving them an average of 2-3 nights prior to the beginning of the work week. And we're still not allowed to request off unless we know about it about a week and a half ahead of time. (then the aforementioned "revenge" inflicted on your hours ensues).

They also tend to kind of take advantage of the people who are good at our jobs. More and more often, we're seeing disgruntled associates scheduled for 8-hour closing shifts, then 8-hour opening shifts the following morning. And during the holiday hours (that's a 4-12am shift, then 7-4pm the following morning. Ouch.), that's really, really hard on us.

Management aside, the other problems are few and far between. Most of the shoppers love the store and are quite agreeable. You do get the occasional angry guest that can't have enough taken off of the already-low pricing and doesn't understand why we have a one coupon per purchase per guest rule, but that's a minor concern. Most all others are happy to be there and enjoy the selection as much as they do the prices.

Connect with us! I know we're all mostly younger than you, but even the older associates are feeling your condescendence. Come down off the high horses. We won't respect you any less. We just wanted to be treated like we matter, too, is all. Not like we're expendable and easily replaceable.

Don't avoid confrontation with us! If we're doing something wrong, a lot of us would rather know than be confused about why our hours have diminished. We just wish you guys would talk to us and take care of the problem directly like grown adults.

And don't avoid praise either! Not many of us hear "good job" or anything to that effect very often, and it makes it seem like our work has kind of been in vain. Without any motivation to improve the store, not much will be improved.

There are newer employer reviews for Gordmans

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!