Very Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mankato, MN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Great Hours: im part-time and im getting almost 40 hours a week, great management very easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay is poor, i've worked there 2 years seasonal, and now 2 years part-time only got one raise and im one of the better employees that works there. not firing people who need to get fired cause they dont do any work or they dont show up multiple times let the mangers fire when need and not have to contact corporate before they can fire, or get 3 write ups.

Other Reviews for Gordmans

Great at first, later...not so much.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Gordmans

Pros

If you like to learn and assume responsibility, they'll give you that opportunity.. Decent hours (earliest I ever had to work was 7 AM, but I was Operations-side and not Merch-side). Since the store is divided into multiple departments, it is possible to cross-train and switch hours/pick up shifts pretty easily. The people they hire are from a wide variety of backgrounds and are usually pretty nice. They started moving towards standardized training right before I left, and I think that was a good idea in making sure everyone was (supposed to be) on the same page.

Cons

No oversight of store management in any non-numeric way by Omaha. NO training for salary managers or key managers on human relations or conflict resolution (whether dealing with 'guests' or employees), and this leads to cold/ineffective/rude management response when dealing with issues. They'll say your hours are flexible, but they'll frequently call you on your days off begging you to come in and deny you time off when you ask well in advance.

As soon as they see that you are competent in an area, they will end up giving you significant responsibilities, without any pay increase or hours increases. I know of several people who were doing the work of a store 'lead' without being recognized or paid as such, and store management would take forever to fill the 'lead' vacancies, usually hiring from the outside instead of promoting the awesome people in-store. I was a part-time employee (by choice) and the store's salary management team often called me in on my days off to handle hiring, training, and orientation of new employees - all functions that are supposed to be handled by the store's Operations Manager. As this happened more and more, I was denied time off and berated when I told them that I wasn't able to work. The schedules were such a mess when I left that they were usually only posted one day before the start of the next work week, and it was frequent that people were placed into departments for which they had not been adequately trained. I'm actually amazed the store was never fined for the management blatantly ignored under-18 labor laws. Many of the high-school-aged employees were frequently scheduled late into the evening and well in excess of the 26 hours per week they could work.

The stockroom was frequently cluttered and extremely difficult to negotiate. The safety warning lines on the floor were not paid attention, and I seriously doubt that it would be possible to quickly evacuate the stockroom in an emergency, as exits were frequently blocked. First-aid kits were never properly stocked, and, while Omaha issued weekly 'safety bulletins', they were only posted and never reviewed with associates. Chemicals were stored willy-nilly in the store and it was difficult to find anything other than glass cleaner to clean up a mess.

Rather than having DMs drop in announced and correct every minor detail, empower your Store Managers to create cultures of excellence within the stores so that these visits will be positive and constructive. Make sure to promote from within, and recognize the excellent contributions of your quality employees, leads, and managers. I saw a place I loved to work (also consistently one of the highest-profit stores) turn into an inefficient, unkempt, downright UNSAFE workplace after a fantastic store manager was replaced by an ineffective one.

Recognize who your best talent is and do everything you can to retain them. This doesn't necessarily mean paying them more (though money is always appreciated), but just making sure they are given praise and recognition for a job well done, and following through on promised bonuses or incentives. I was frequently promised spiffs for opening Gordmans cards and for referring new employees, and I never received anything.

Growth of the company is great, but the breakneck pace at which they seem to be moving is unsustainable. I immediately noticed a negative cultural shift as soon as the IPO was announced. Make sure that you're taking care of existing stores before opening new ones.

Very fair

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Strong management, respectful team, fair compensation, given time off when needed, fair to all employees, regardless of experience, nice people

Cons

not very exciting work, gets very repetitive, little room for advancement, pay rarely increases, only given strong feedback at review, which is only once per year.

There are newer employer reviews for Gordmans.

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!