Gordmans
www.gordmans.com Omaha, NE 150 to 499 Employees

Loved going to work at 1st, and then I started to dread every day I had to work.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
Sioux City, IA

I worked at Gordmans part-time for less than a year

ProsMy pay when I got hired for a seasonal position was $8/hour. It was then increased to $8.25 after my 6 month review.

Store discount isn't bad, it can be combined with most other sales going on in the store.

Share-A-Discount contest was fun, I thought it was an easy way to boost the morale of the associates.

The department leads were very friendly and helpful from the very first day I started.

Holiday hours are very good, you can usually get at least 20 hours a week.

ConsWhen I first started working at GORDMANS I was excited to go to work every single day. I loved what I was doing, I loved the people I worked with and I had no problems with the management. Our store manager was transferred to another store after Christmas, which made the management shift drastically. The priorities of the new management seemed to shift drastically, they became more concerned with the bottom line, credit card sales, and being the top store.

After the holiday rush our weekly hours began to decrease heavily. Some days the store would call almost everyone off except for 2-3 people. This was in January, and the hours never really picked up after that, even thought they were supposed to. They under-staff the store, especially at nights during the week and weekend. Some nights you will be covering the register, your department and the fitting room because they didn't schedule, or called off that many employees.

I was recently asked to give them more hours to work with over the summer. These hours had to work around my college class schedule so I ended up giving them at least 30 hours per week to work with. This included 2 days to close every week, plus one Saturday to close once a month. After I turned in these hours I was under the impression that I would be given anywhere from 20-25 hours every week. I ended up getting scheduled maybe once or twice a week, which was no more than 10 hours total.

The management doesn't talk with the associates anymore. We used to have Take 5's twice a day, once in the morning, and once after 5. They then began to tell us important things by posting notifications in the break room. This usually meant that we would be given a list of days that we were not able to request off.

There is a lot of unfair favoritism going on, and it's not towards the people who actually deserve the praise. They seem to be catering to the needs and wants of the people who don't actually want to work there. These are the associates that don't follow the dress code, have their cell phones on them on the sales floor, take breaks whenever they feel like it, and don't work hard when they are on the floor.

A few of the store keys are very rude to the associates, especially on the nights they close. They are very bossy, and don't ask you politely to do a task. They don't help recover, even though it would allow us to leave the store a lot sooner. Just because they are "in charge" doesn't mean that they needed to treat the rest of the associates poorly.

I know that a lot of other associates feel the same way about working at GORDMANS. When I put in my notice there were a bunch of other part-time associates that were also putting in their notice, or just quitting immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value your employees then you need to put their priorities ahead of your baseline. What matters is that you have people there to greet your guests and be friendly, otherwise the guest won't be purchasing merchandise.

Make an effort to get to know your employees, and make an effort to talk to them frequently. If there is going to be a cut in everyone's hours for an extended period of time then you need to let them know ahead of time.

Don't be shocked to see very good workers leave because you don't value them or give them the praise they deserve!

Very Great place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Mankato, MN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros: Great Hours: im part-time and im getting almost 40 hours… Cons: Pay is poor, i've worked there 2 years seasonal, and now 2 years part-time only got one raise and im one of the better employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great at first, later...not so much.

Associate (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Gordmans

Pros: If you like to learn and assume responsibility, they'll give you that opportunity.. Decent hours (earliest I ever had to work was 7 AM,… Cons: No oversight of store management in any non-numeric way by Omaha. NO training for salary managers or key managers on human relations or conflict resolution… Advice to Senior Management: Rather than having DMs drop in announced and correct every minor detail, empower your Store Managers to create cultures of excellence within the stores so… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Gordmans.

Worked for Gordmans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gordmans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gordmans CEO Jeffrey J. Gordman. All reviews posted anonymously by Gordmans employees.