Gordmans

www.gordmans.com
  www.gordmans.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gordmans

Loved going to work at 1st, and then I started to dread every day I had to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sioux City, IA
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Gordmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My pay when I got hired for a seasonal position was $8/hour. It was then increased to $8.25 after my 6 month review.

Store discount isn't bad, it can be combined with most other sales going on in the store.

Share-A-Discount contest was fun, I thought it was an easy way to boost the morale of the associates.

The department leads were very friendly and helpful from the very first day I started.

Holiday hours are very good, you can usually get at least 20 hours a week.

Cons

When I first started working at GORDMANS I was excited to go to work every single day. I loved what I was doing, I loved the people I worked with and I had no problems with the management. Our store manager was transferred to another store after Christmas, which made the management shift drastically. The priorities of the new management seemed to shift drastically, they became more concerned with the bottom line, credit card sales, and being the top store.

After the holiday rush our weekly hours began to decrease heavily. Some days the store would call almost everyone off except for 2-3 people. This was in January, and the hours never really picked up after that, even thought they were supposed to. They under-staff the store, especially at nights during the week and weekend. Some nights you will be covering the register, your department and the fitting room because they didn't schedule, or called off that many employees.

I was recently asked to give them more hours to work with over the summer. These hours had to work around my college class schedule so I ended up giving them at least 30 hours per week to work with. This included 2 days to close every week, plus one Saturday to close once a month. After I turned in these hours I was under the impression that I would be given anywhere from 20-25 hours every week. I ended up getting scheduled maybe once or twice a week, which was no more than 10 hours total.

The management doesn't talk with the associates anymore. We used to have Take 5's twice a day, once in the morning, and once after 5. They then began to tell us important things by posting notifications in the break room. This usually meant that we would be given a list of days that we were not able to request off.

There is a lot of unfair favoritism going on, and it's not towards the people who actually deserve the praise. They seem to be catering to the needs and wants of the people who don't actually want to work there. These are the associates that don't follow the dress code, have their cell phones on them on the sales floor, take breaks whenever they feel like it, and don't work hard when they are on the floor.

A few of the store keys are very rude to the associates, especially on the nights they close. They are very bossy, and don't ask you politely to do a task. They don't help recover, even though it would allow us to leave the store a lot sooner. Just because they are "in charge" doesn't mean that they needed to treat the rest of the associates poorly.

I know that a lot of other associates feel the same way about working at GORDMANS. When I put in my notice there were a bunch of other part-time associates that were also putting in their notice, or just quitting immediately.

If you value your employees then you need to put their priorities ahead of your baseline. What matters is that you have people there to greet your guests and be friendly, otherwise the guest won't be purchasing merchandise.

Make an effort to get to know your employees, and make an effort to talk to them frequently. If there is going to be a cut in everyone's hours for an extended period of time then you need to let them know ahead of time.

Don't be shocked to see very good workers leave because you don't value them or give them the praise they deserve!

116 Other Employee Reviews for Gordmans (View Most Recent)

Very Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Gordmans

Pros

Great Hours: im part-time and im getting almost 40 hours a week, great management very easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay is poor, i've worked there 2 years seasonal, and now 2 years part-time only got one raise and im one of the better employees that works there. not firing people who need to get fired cause they dont do any work or they dont show up multiple times let the mangers fire when need and not have to contact corporate before they can fire, or get 3 write ups.

Great at first, later...not so much.

Former Employee - Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Gordmans

Pros

If you like to learn and assume responsibility, they'll give you that opportunity.. Decent hours (earliest I ever had to work was 7 AM, but I was Operations-side and not Merch-side). Since the store is divided into multiple departments, it is possible to cross-train and switch hours/pick up shifts pretty easily. The people they hire are from a wide variety of backgrounds and are usually pretty nice. They started moving towards standardized training right before I left, and I think that was a good idea in making sure everyone was (supposed to be) on the same page.

Cons

No oversight of store management in any non-numeric way by Omaha. NO training for salary managers or key managers on human relations or conflict resolution (whether dealing with 'guests' or employees), and this leads to cold/ineffective/rude management response when dealing with issues. They'll say your hours are flexible, but they'll frequently call you on your days off begging you to come in and deny you time off when you ask well in advance.

As soon as they see that you are competent in an area, they will end up giving you significant responsibilities, without any pay increase or hours increases. I know of several people who were doing the work of a store 'lead' without being recognized or paid as such, and store management would take forever to fill the 'lead' vacancies, usually hiring from the outside instead of promoting the awesome people in-store. I was a part-time employee (by choice) and the store's salary management team often called me in on my days off to handle hiring, training, and orientation of new employees - all functions that are supposed to be handled by the store's Operations Manager. As this happened more and more, I was denied time off and berated when I told them that I wasn't able to work. The schedules were such a mess when I left that they were usually only posted one day before the start of the next work week, and it was frequent that people were placed into departments for which they had not been adequately trained. I'm actually amazed the store was never fined for the management blatantly ignored under-18 labor laws. Many of the high-school-aged employees were frequently scheduled late into the evening and well in excess of the 26 hours per week they could work.

The stockroom was frequently cluttered and extremely difficult to negotiate. The safety warning lines on the floor were not paid attention, and I seriously doubt that it would be possible to quickly evacuate the stockroom in an emergency, as exits were frequently blocked. First-aid kits were never properly stocked, and, while Omaha issued weekly 'safety bulletins', they were only posted and never reviewed with associates. Chemicals were stored willy-nilly in the store and it was difficult to find anything other than glass cleaner to clean up a mess.

Rather than having DMs drop in announced and correct every minor detail, empower your Store Managers to create cultures of excellence within the stores so that these visits will be positive and constructive. Make sure to promote from within, and recognize the excellent contributions of your quality employees, leads, and managers. I saw a place I loved to work (also consistently one of the highest-profit stores) turn into an inefficient, unkempt, downright UNSAFE workplace after a fantastic store manager was replaced by an ineffective one.

Recognize who your best talent is and do everything you can to retain them. This doesn't necessarily mean paying them more (though money is always appreciated), but just making sure they are given praise and recognition for a job well done, and following through on promised bonuses or incentives. I was frequently promised spiffs for opening Gordmans cards and for referring new employees, and I never received anything.

Growth of the company is great, but the breakneck pace at which they seem to be moving is unsustainable. I immediately noticed a negative cultural shift as soon as the IPO was announced. Make sure that you're taking care of existing stores before opening new ones.

There are newer employer reviews for Gordmans