There are newer employer reviews for Gordon Biersch

Great coworkers, busy environment, high stress, but the regular customers made it worth it.

Former Employee - Bartender in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Bartender in Washington, DC

I worked at Gordon Biersch

Pros

You're never bored. Your management supports you as long as you support them. It's always a team effort. For every bad, rude customer, there was always a great guest after. Complaints are standard in the industry and no restaurant will be able to prevent all errors, but each "area" of the restaurant heavily relied on eachother to ensure a good experience for the guest, and I was appreciative of the way my coworkers all knew this.

Cons

The same downsides you have as working as a bartender, server, etc an any restaurant. Management was sometimes hard, but more often than not their intentions and reasons for being hard were acknowledged and accepted. It's a high-stressed environment, and it takes a great multi-tasker and someone with never-ending patience to really succeed.

Advice to Management

The customer is not always right.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good Job For a Student

Former Employee - Hostess in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gordon Biersch

Pros

Fun and busy during baseball seasons. Awesome coworkers made work fun too

Cons

No tips to the hostesses.

Advice to Management

Make it mandatory to pay out tips to the hostess

2. Good friends, no growth opportunity.

Former Employee - Hostess in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gordon Biersch

Pros

They are very Flexible with your Schedule. So if you have kids, or college, that is great. The management I had was very nice, and always took the time to listen to what I had to say. At my location, you had the opportunity to make a lot of money as a server.

Cons

If you get hired to a lower position and management says they will move you up, it's not up to them, it's up to the regional manager. If you do a great job at your position (trainer, lead host) and corporate knows about it, your stuck there. Anytime you ask for a raise they are on a "freeze" (they've been on one for several years now).

Advice to Management

Regional managers- don't worry so much about what corporate thinks. If an employee does a great job for you move them up and allow them to make more money. Otherwise you will continue to have those great employees leave, and be stuck with the mediocre ones instead.