GFS Cornerstone Values lost at the divisional level, but still a better company than Sysco and Us Food Service

Current Employee - Customer Development Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Customer Development Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Private family owned company which means no greedy stockholders to answer to. Great profit sharing/401K program. Excellent benefits, including tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, employee discounts, etc. Christian company. Financial rewards for performance.

Cons

Cornerstone values and culture lost at the divisional level. Middle management are a bunch of "yes men" that don't support the people that report to them. Long hours, week nights and Sunday work. More concerned about expense management and head count than sales building. Individual departments are more concerned with personal success than the success of the entire team. Most of the strong leaders have left the company and have been replaced by puppets.

Replace "yes men" middle management with strong leaders. better align departmental goals so entire team can have success.

Other Reviews for Gordon Food Service

This company keeps getting worse and worse

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling? Other than that literally there is nothing good about this place anymore

Cons

Where to start
    -GFS is all about favoritism

-They claim to be restaurant quality but the products are really becoming cheap while maintaining price to maximize profits

-This isn't a "family run business" like they claim. This store is becoming a greedy corporation

-When you begin working at GFS(I would strongly recommend not even looking in this companies direction) but they start you off with a video of the owner. One thing he preaches is, we're only as good as you. He goes on to say the company knows they are where they are because of the associates and management teams that work so hard in the stores. What he fails to say is they truly do not care anymore. They may have at one point(I've been there four years now) but they no longer care about the people on the bottom, they only care about maximizing profits and to hell with anyone and everyone else. I for one hope this company gets run straight into the ground, I've met the board of directors and owners a handful of times and was really hoping to during the last store visit, but "something important came up" so they skipped our district.

-I as well as a few other associates were working full time with no benefits. due to ObamaCare and GFS being, well, tightwads my hours were cut to part time. No apologies by the company, they didn't try to make it right, they never offered increase in pay to help alleviate the forthcoming hardship, they did nothing.

-The one thing that made this company just ok was the bonus system they have, although with the way this place is going it's only a matter of time before that's gone as well

To the "owner(s)", take back control of your company and do away with the board of directors! This company USED to be halfway decent. I hate working for this place, as well as fellow coworkers, hell I've even had customers tell me to get the **** out of this terrible corporation.

To many hours for the salary.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Co-Workers, decent salary, benefits, tons of new opportunity with new stores.

Cons

50hr work weeks is not necessary for 90% of the year. Around Christmas and Grad Season sure. There is no reason to work us 50 hours a week, first chance most of us get we are going to leave for a normal full time job.

Reduce work weeks to 40 hours during low volume times.

There are newer employer reviews for Gordon Food Service.

Worked for Gordon Food Service? Contribute to the Community!