There are newer employer reviews for Gordon and Schwenkmeyer

Sweat shop masquerading as a progressive company

Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gordon and Schwenkmeyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time hours
Ability to help out charities and political campaigns

Cons

Extremely low pay. Pay starts at 8 dollars an hour. Even employees who have worked there for decades only make 14 dollars an hour. A truly progressive company, that raises money for the Democratic Party, should pay a living wage. Shameful.
Sweat shop-like work environment. The list of rules would fill a phone book. Most are heavy handed while at the same time being nit picky. The most recent: locking the break room so that water is not accessible except during two breaks and lunch. We are people who talk all day for a living. We need unlimited access to water. Ironically, we raise money for the United Farm Workers which is demanding that its workers get access to water at least once an hour.
Constantly written up, warned, and reminded of rules. There is little or no positive reinforcement. This is a sign of poor management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Loosen up on your ridiculous rules. PAY A LIVING WAGE!!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I worked at Gordon and Schwenkmeyer

Pros

Very good! Excellent training and direct contact with their clients.

Cons

There work rules are heavy-handed. I was fortunate that I was also a p/t professor at a local community college.

Advice to Management

If you are going to recruit those at risk or new to the work force, you need to extend your probation period.

2. Fundraiser

Former Employee - Fundraiser/Telemarketer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser/Telemarketer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Gordon and Schwenkmeyer full-time

Pros

Half of the time the job is 40hrs a week, while most telemarketing jobs are only 20-30hrs per wk. The presentations used on the phone vary throughout the day and month to month, while most other telemarketing jobs use the same presentation all day long, month after month.

Cons

This co. does not value their employees. The management bullies them in various ways, from almost daily verbal abuse, disciplinary actions taken against employees-(they have tons of contradictory rules to make sure they can)-to requiring the telemarketers to break the laws. They require the fundraisers to continue asking for a contribution even if the donors have no food money. Very uncomfortable place to wrk. The mgmt does not know how to run a telemarketing dept and will not listen to advice frm the front line wrkrs. During part time periods employees are told the night before what their start times will be-(not end times), day at a time-no info about how long part time will last-(mgmt knows). This co. wrks at odds with itself.

Advice to Management

They need to change mgmt to people who understand how successful telemarketing depts work.