There are newer employer reviews for Gotham Consulting Partners

Amazing experience, but be ready to roll up your sleeves

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Gotham early in my career and I can honestly say that it is the single largest reason my career has continued to progress at a rapid pace (Finance & Strategy leader for a $750M business before the age of 30). You learn how to generate amazing insights that are actionable across a wide variety of businesses. There are very few environments where you can gain as much hands on experience while moving up and down the entire value chain (from frontline workers to C-suite interactions). The leaders and employees of this company are some of the smartest people I've ever had the opportunity to work with.

Cons

This is not a job for the faint of heart. As others have said, the hours can be long at times and the expectations are very high. However, if you dig in, learn, and grow, the long-term impact on your career is amazing (either at Gotham or beyond).

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to recognize the potential for burnout and put mitigation plans in place to prevent it. There will always be times that absolutely require the 36 hour non-stop sprint, but it would be helpful if there was a balance to these times to "recharge the battery".

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Most other options are better; don't stay longer than a year

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time

Pros

*Become an expert at Excel and PowerPoint *Learn to be very creative in solving problems *Get exposed to unique set of industries and PE *Great co-workers who are extremely intelligent, friendly, and helpful

Cons

*Almost all the cons and none of the pros of being part of an "entrepreneurial" firm (long hours, but no stake in business, no rewards or bonuses ever, no ownership, almost no exposure to clients) *You -will- burn out. *Nothing you do will ever be good enough, until the 11th (AM, the next day) hour *Hands tied behind your back for many things, since it is a small firm with limited resources *You will likely not get paid on time at some point, due to pipeline and finance difficulties

Advice to Management

* Bring in other partners. * Realize your employees are not business owners - they can work hard but should not be up all night every night 7 days a week worried about the business and should not be getting paid late. They don't own the business or reap any rewards on the other end, so this isn't their responsibility. * Stop blaming other people; the attrition rate is your fault, no one else's. See it as a consultant should. You own that responsibility.

2. Constantly berated, company can't survive this way

I worked at Gotham Consulting Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your work will get in front of the client and you will learn a good bit. Your teammates are good people and you learn to band together

Cons

Constantly treated poorly. There is no work-life balance on projects and you can expect 9 am to 10 pm as a good day when not on project. On project, expect to leave between 2-4 am. People drop like flies and I am doubtful this firm will be around much longer. work is never good enough, so thinking becomes discouraged as you try to fit to whatever the MD says. Expect change of plans even at 2 am in the morning.

Advice to Management

learn to connect with human beings. They have emotions and families and should be treated better if you want to keep them for any measure of time. Don't treat people with disrespect or talk down to anybody. We are all trying to learn and would be more willing to commit time if we felt this were a collaborative environment. Follow the 80/20 rule. deep diving on every issue is a surefire way to waste time. Realize we have lives outside these walls.