There are newer employer reviews for Government of Alberta

Excellent employer. No questions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta

Pros

Management is very capable and understanding
Flexible work life balance
Lots to learn
Fair and equitable compensation package
Defined Benefit Pension Plan

Cons

Lots of grey haired folks in higher positions that have no desire to retire. Makes it hard for younger generations to move up.

Advice to Management

Start filling management positions with younger staff

reviews filtered by
  1. Ideal for entry level development

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Government of Alberta

Pros

Your experience will be largely affected by your manager. Huge differences in management styles. I had an amazing manager and would work for him again in a heart beat. Very professional with amble in house training for those willing to dedicate some time. Ideal for college grads to learn the formal processes of projects, paperwork, etc.

Two options, move rapidly to management. Or stay three to four years, take as much training as you can then move to private industry.

Cons

AUPE is the most management approved union in the country! When the economy was running HOT and inflation was over 10% a year, after years of pay freezes, less than 5% OVER THREE YEARS! Wow how incompetent is that!

The only benefit I found in the benefit package was in the title.

Advice to Management

Stay close to industry in salaries to stay competitive or spend millions retraining over and over. When I was there we had two basic employees, lifers close to retirement and college grads. What does that tell you?

2. Decent place to work

I have been working at Government of Alberta

Pros

From my standpoint, my direct line manager is very strong and that makes working at the GOA worthwhile. However, our most senior leadership team seems to be rather dysfunctional - competing when they should collaborate.

Cons

Politics. Salary freeze (although this has improved). Loss of the bonus program - the average bonus was $4000. The sensational bonuses reported in the media were the exception and not the rule, and when the decision was made to eliminate the program, it ended up hurting staff more than it did senior management.

Advice to Management

Reinstate the bonus program and start looking at how - in order to address the issues that will arise as a result of mass retirements - to recruit and retain younger workers. (That means competitive salaries - NOT salaries based upon the 50th percentile.

There are newer employer reviews for Government of Alberta