Government of Alberta

www.alberta.ca
  www.alberta.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Government of Alberta

Great benefits, terrible managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When you make a difference, it's easy to see that difference in peoples' lives. Great benefits, good hours, generally great people to work with. Good career progression for those who want it and will play the game.

Cons

Most managers are terrible... control freaks who are more concerned about looking good rather than getting results. The politicians who control things often make stupid decisions. Budget cuts are always looming.

Hire more capable people, and more young people who aren't bitter and jaded.

51 Other Employee Reviews for Government of Alberta (View Most Recent)

Great work-life balance and office environment!

Current Employee - JSG (Former SOLGPS) Admin 2 in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - JSG (Former SOLGPS) Admin 2 in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love my office! Our staff is the opposite of what Government employees are said to be. Most people here are passionate about their jobs and GOA values. We enjoy sharing opinions and learning new things to better ourselves. Our management and executives are very approachable and willing to help. The work-life balance is great! Flexible work schedules, time-off for doctor's appointments, earned time-off, work from home options are all available to us. I previously worked for a company that required 12 hour days and I was made to feel guilty when I needed to take time-off for doctor's appointment or earned vacation! Not fun! Work hard rest well is my motto!
    I guess there is a different environment in every Ministry, and every department within that Ministry, but I consider myself lucky to land a GOA job with JSG Business Services & Strategic Support!

Cons

None so far. I've heard rumors about low career advancement opportunities but I believe that where there's a will, there's a way! I've seen some bright people getting promoted within the Government, and I believe that it's just like in any other company: your promotability has a direct correlation with your productivity, knowledge & expertise, and your relationships with others(superiors and colleagues).

Keep at it, and remember that your staff is the most valuable component of your success!

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

challenging work, great co-workers, decent pay, good training & development opportunities available

Cons

new supervisor that micromanages, some communication issues, equity amongst employees is not always ensured, can seem like favortism at times.

learn to communicate decisions better to the team and communicate more effectively amongst the leadership team.

There are newer employer reviews for Government of Alberta